Family of Jack Morgan attend his graduation ceremony

The family of former Bristol student and Instagram campaigner Jack Morgan, have attended his graduation ceremony this week.

By Maddy Russell, News Editor

The Department of Engineering Maths have created The Jack Morgan Award for Ardour, in memory of the former Bristol student who passed away from cancer in August aged 22.

The family of former Bristol student and Instagram campaigner Jack Morgan have attended his graduation ceremony this week.

Jack, who achieved a 2:1 in Engineering Maths whilst undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, was described by his tutor as a 'talented student' who used his own experience with cancer to begin developing a network to connect others with the disease.

Whilst undergoing treatment Jack launched a blog and Instagram account, documenting his experience of cancer with hope of raising awareness of the disease. His Instagram account attracted more than 30,000 followers and celebrity endorsement.

Originally from North London, Jack was diagnosed with undifferentiated carcinoma of the eye. Following initial treatment he was given the all-clear, however his cancer returned in 2018.

Jack's father, Grant Morgan, paid tribute to his 'uniquely selfless' son saying that: 'Jack delivered more in 22 years than most people delivered in a hundred lifetimes.'

He added: 'I am unbelievably proud of the man that he became and my job is to work tirelessly, with my family, to keep that candle burning bright.'

Following his death, Jack's family launched the #BeMoreJack campaign, which encourages people to pledge to do something generous, courageous or charitable on leap day (Saturday 29th of February).

As part of the campaign students are encouraged to share their good intentions on social media using the hashtag #BeMoreJack, on leap day, to contribute to an online movement in his spirit.

Featured Image:Instagram/@itsme_jmo

What will you be doing for the #BeMoreJack campaign? Let us know!