Pub cancels Bristol University Conservative Association's Brexit celebrations

As today marks the day the United Kingdom leaves the European Union, one may expect to find many groups either celebrating or commiserating the historic move in Bristol's pubs.

By Georgiana Scott, Investigations Editor and Maggie Sawant, Students' Union Correspondent

Bristol University’s Conservative Association (BUCA) planned to commemorate the UK’s departure from the EU by attending a celebration organised by Leavers of Bristol, an event they had promoted on their Facebook page.

However, the pub where the event was set to take place, the Famous Royal Navy Volunteer, made the decision to cancel the booking after finding out it was a pro-brexit celebration.

In a statement, a spokeswoman from the pub said: ‘Here at the pub, we encompass a broad range of views and encourage discussion, as all good pubs should.

‘But we are well aware that January 31st is going to be a day of celebration for some, and a day of deep sorrow for others, and as such, we have no interest in taking one side over another and therefore have cancelled the booking.’

Given less than 24 hours notice about the cancellation, Robert Porter, President of BUCA commented: ‘We can't help but wonder whether the event would have been cancelled if it had been a pro-EU party. We suspect not.

The event was in an upstairs function room. It is not clear how it would have had any impact on anyone else.’

Despite the late cancellation, they have found an alternative venue to celebrate.

Bristol Liberal Democrat Students are also marking the UK’s exit by hosting an event called ‘Tequila and Tears’. The event states: ‘The day is finally upon us, the world we know is going to change.

Come join us for a drink or two to mourn the extreme loss of our wonderful EU.

Whether your choice of drink: tequila and tears, spirit and sadness or wine and whine. We can all come together no matter what party you are from. Please come and join us!’

Featured Image: Marcus Spiske and mnm.all / Unsplash

How are you marking the UK’s exit from the EU? With tears, tequila or both?