A frivolous and festive weekend in Munich

If you live and breathe Christmas, Munich is the best city to visit at this festive time of year.

By Millie Filleul, Third Year BA History of Art

The Croft Magainze//If you live and breathe Christmas, Munich is best city to visit at this  time of year. Follow in the festive footsteps of Millie Filleul and visit Christmas markets run from November 27 until December 24

It’s December, and Bristol has finally become Christmassy! The turning on of the Clifton Christmas lights was the first of many festive events to kick off the season, and I was beyond happy when my flat mates finally let me start playing Christmas songs as soon as it was the first of the month.

However, despite Cabot running a seasonal display of stalls, everyone wants to hop on the train to Bath to enjoy the Christmas markets they have to offer. I went to Bath this year and, as much as I did enjoy it - I recommend an evening trip, the lights look so much prettier- I couldn’t help but push the boat out and take a trip to some more traditional Christmas Markets slightly further from home.
But where to go? Germany is home to several marvellous Christmas markets, with Munich itself boasting a dozen.

The country holds festive markets in Frankfurt, Berlin, Cologne and Dresden to mention a few. Just over an hour’s flight is all it took to get to our very festive and well-earned mini break, as we picked Munich as our city to visit. If you’re not feeling ‘Christmassy’ yet, then jump on a plane to the Marienplatz Christmas Market and I can guarantee you will be oozing in the festive spirit.

The King of Munich Christmas Markets, Marienplatz, is in the heart of the city centre, next to the town hall. The Christkindlmarkt sells traditional Bavarian gifts – wood carvings, tree decorations, lebkuchen (gingerbread), glassware, winter gloves and hats, beeswax candles and a gazillion other Christmas gifts that will make the perfect stocking filler!

There’s a daily concert from the town hall balcony, and the revolving figures on its clock perform at noon every day. Go inside the cellar for a typical Bavarian meal under a magnificent ceiling or have a hot cup of Glühwein as you eat one’s weight in candied almonds, which are ridiculously delicious, I promise.

To get an extra magical view, be sure to climb up St Peter’s Church Tower after sunset!

As someone who enjoys trying the local cuisine, I found that Munich has a fabulous selection of food markets. During our two day trip we even managed to visit both an Italian and a Thai restaurant, which were both scrumptious. So, do not fear if Weißwürste (boiled, white veal sausage) does not take your fancy!

Munich Markets...Epigram/Millie Filleul

The architecture, warming winter food and drink and the alpine atmosphere would make it hard for Scrooge to not feel warmed by seasonal glee. All I wish is that I had gone there for longer, and that Britain felt half as festive as Munich in these days leading up to Christmas.

Featured image: Epigram / Millie Filleul

Find The Croft Magazine inside every issue of Epigram Newspaper