A Christmas Choc-tail: the 'Chocolatin'

I normally take up the mantle of Scrooge at this time of year, however, there is one flavour combination that will always get me in the mood for Christmas: chocolate and orange.

By Jack Bercovici, First Year Chemistry

Chocolotin with a chocolate-covered candied orange 

I normally take up the mantle of Scrooge at this time of year, however, there is one flavour combination that will always get me in the mood for Christmas: chocolate and orange. This festive cocktail, a fusion between the espresso martini and a pot au chocolat, is incredibly simple to make but perfect for this time of year.

Ingredients:

·            30ml cold hot chocolate

o  Dissolve 2 heaped dessert (10ml) spoons of cocoa powder in a mug of hot water and then chill to room temperature

·            30ml Grand Marnier (Cointreau or other triple sec can be used instead but so, create a 50:50 mix with brandy)

Shake over ice and strain into a chilled glass (no ice). Serve with a garnish of a chocolate-covered candied orange slice.

[N.B. To create an evening fireside drink instead just add the Grand Marnier (or equivalent) to the mug of hot chocolate (not chilled). Sugar syrup may need to be added to make it less bitter and if you want to booze it up a bit, feel free to add a good slug of brandy too.]

Photos courtesy of Epigram/Jack Bercovici

Are there any particular drinks that get you in the festive spirit? Let us know in the comments below!