Perfect your Christmas knits: Roll out your novelty jumpers

With the festive season upon us, and Christmas Jumper Day on the 13th, the time has come to think about which Christmas knits you’ll be sporting

By Morgan Collins, First Year French and Spanish

The Croft Magazine // With the festive season upon us, and Christmas Jumper Day on the 13th, the time has come to think about which Christmas knits you’ll be sporting.

Choosing your knit can be tough, but whether you’re in want of a garish or more subtle Christmas jumper we have the pick for you!

For me Christmas jumpers fall into three categories: your classic novelty jumper with tinsel dangling from the fabric; your more subtle classy jumper - usually a fine knit with a bit of glitz-, and then your Nordic chunky sweater. All worthy options but perhaps not appropriate for all Crimbo occasions.

The novelty jumper

Novelty Christmas jumpers do not always have to be outlandish, and controversially I think the best ones are those that don’t have baubles protruding from every angle. For a Christmas Jumper Day or a Christmas social the novelty jumper is an obvious choice so to stand out choose ones with funny slogans or detailed patterns rather than with annoying embellishments that will annoy you to no end.

The sparkly jumper

For those of you who, like me, just can’t bring themselves to wear a super in-your-face Christmas jumper, a sparkly jumper can be a great way to feel festive all December. You can’t go wrong with Zara or Warehouse for these jumpers and a bonus is that they often come in a fine knit, so they’re perfect for indoor occasions like Christmas parties or even the big day itself.

10 style and beauty gifts for under ten pounds

The Nordic jumper

A favourite year after year, the Nordic/ski style jumper remain a popular choice for those wanting to stay festive and timeless at the same time. Because of their warm and chunky material, they are perfect for Christmas markets or ice skating and will certainly look great on your Instagram!

So get shopping for your Christmas knit!

Featured: Unsplash / Toa Heftiba