I'm dreaming of a greener Christmas

If you’re looking for a way to make sure you don’t end up on the naughty list thanks to your bad recycling habits, check out these few tips on how to make sure your Christmas is a green as can be.

By Daisy Farrow, Croft Editor

With Christmas right around the corner, as we speak presents are being wrapped, decorations hung, and festive food devoured. It’s the most wonderful time of the year. But did you know that the Christmas period produces not just joy, but also an extra 3 million tonnes of waste each year? As festive as they are, your funny wrapping paper and tinsel towers may not be so environmentally friendly as you realise.

Sugar cookies make great homemade decorations | Unsplash / Annie Spratt
  1. Ta-ta Tissue Paper!

That’s right. Whilst you might think that tissue paper is a smart choice to wrap your last-minute presents in, you’d be wrong. As tissue paper is already made from recycled materials, it cannot be recycled once again. Meaning that it ends up in a huge pile of waste at the end of the year. Why not instead discover the world of brown paper? Not only does it have that classic, minimalist look, but also opens up the world of home-made decorations. Decorate your presents with brown paper, pinecones, mistletoe, and other natural treats for that special home-made touch.

2. DIY- Decorate It Yourself

Santa baby, fill my natural hemp-only stocking with plastic-free baubles and biodegradable glitter. I’ve been an awful good girl. This year, decorate your home with something green (and I’m not just talking about the tree!) Recycled paper lanterns, an au-natural wreath made from things you found in the park, dried fruit baubles… it only takes a 30-second scroll on Pinterest to find thousands of DIY decorations. It separates your home from all the other same John-Lewis-looking living rooms out there, and makes for a fun activity to do as a family.

Paper decorations and homemade bunting? Yes please | Epigram / Daisy Farrow

3. Less (leftovers) is More

As tempting as that Boxing Day turkey sandwich may be, the cold pigs in blankets you sneak from the fridge, or the roast potatoes you dream about in your post-dinner nap, think of someone else this Christmas. Buy less to make sure that the food doesn’t go to waste three days after Christmas when you’re still working through the yorkshire puddings. Better even, cook only half, and donate the uncooked rest to your nearest foodbank (check local rules as each food bank will differ). Not only do you make sure that you’re not wasting food, it also means you won’t be throwing away something which someone else might be in desperate need for. Homeless shelters and food banks are always looking for donations, and you could really make a difference this Christmas.

My Mum's attempt at making Christmas sexy | Epigram / Daisy Farrow

4. Flake on the Fake Tree

Plastic trees, made to be reusable, do have a certain appeal. One thinks that by buying one fake tree and using it every year, they are actually making a smart decision. But research has shown that most people will throw out their tree after a few years once they deem it boring or too same-y. What this means is that every year thousands of fake trees are taken to a landfill where their plastic components don't recycle or break down. This year, embrace the natural look. And if you’re still worried about throwing out the tree afterwards, find out if your local council recycle it! Most do.

Featured image: Unsplash / Annie Spratt

Find The Croft Magazine inside every copy of Epigram Newspaper