Step into sustainability this Christmas with green gifting

FULL ARTICLE

By Greg Evans, First Year History

The Croft Magazine // It’s the most wonderful time of the year, but capitalist consumerism has made buying gifts for your loved ones increasingly unsustainable. This little guide will hopefully give you some inspiration for your most sustainable gift-giving year to date!

So, let’s start with wrapping! Last year in the UK, we sent an astonishing 108 million rolls of wrapping paper to landfill.  So, this year I’m doing away with it completely as alternatives to wrapping paper can not only be a lot cheaper, but with a bit of creativity much snazzier too! Plus, it adds that extra layer of personalisation that will really make your sustainable gift feel special.

Whether its jazzing up some newspaper with some Christmassy foliage cut from your neighbour’s hedge, tying up your gift with a vintage scarf, or popping your gift into a second-hand tote bag: avoiding wrapping paper is an easy way to reduce your impact.

As for gifts, you can’t go far wrong with a good reusable water bottle. In the UK 7.7 billion plastic water bottles are used each year, so when looking for the perfect drinking vessel I’d steer towards stainless steel - they’re much more durable and in the long run will pay for themselves!  Top-tip – test how loud opening the lid is before you buy! Nobody wants all eyes on them when they go to hydrate in the library.

Pastel Coral Water Bottle, £20 | Chilly's 

Good SLS-free shampoo bars are an easy way to reduce plastic clutter in the shower. If you haven’t used one yet I’d 100% recommend, you’ll be surprised by how well they work, as well as how long they last! If you’re feeling generous, pair the shampoo bar with some re-usable cotton pads, or a solid deodorant to create a sustainable cosmetics kit!

Luxury soft reusable make-up remover wash pads, £4.25 | Etsy 

Buying second-hand opens you up to world of sustainable options! A visit to your local charity shop, eBay or car-boot sale allows you to buy whatever you want with a much smaller environmental impact. Think along the lines of books, vinyl, homeware, accessories and you’ll be on your way to the perfectly sustainable gift.

Sustainability teaching fights the climate crisis blues

So, do away with the excess this year; the wrapping paper, the plastic, the seemingly useless 3for2 gift sets. Buy second-hand, local, independent, or a combination of all 3 – and you’ll be well on your way to a more sustainable holiday season!

Featured: Unsplash / Mel Poole

Find The Croft Magazine inside every copy of Epigram Newspaper

AUTHOR