New campus to be delayed by a year

The University have announced that the new campus development next to Temple Meads station will now open in September 2023, rather than the initially planned date of 2022.

By Maddy Russell, News Editor

The £300 million Temple Meads campus is now expected to open in 2023.

Image: University of Bristol

The development is expected to cost the University £300 million and will include a new digital innovation centre, a business school and residential accommodation for around 1000 students.

A spokesperson for the University of Bristol said that although it had been hoped that September 2022 would be the completion date for the project, no specific date had ever been set in stone.

The spokesperson went on to say: ‘We look forward to working with our city-region to increase our research, innovation and teaching impact and are encouraged by the remarkable levels of support we have seen from funders and partners for the concept of the Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus.

‘We expect the next phase of site preparation work to begin soon and have released the invitation to tender for the main construction contract.’

Image: University of Bristol 

The proposed design of residential accommodation blocks at the sight has already caused controversy amongst local campaigners, who had branded it as ‘ugly’ and expressed concern that it would affect visitors first impressions of the city.

Featured image: University of Bristol

What do you think of the University putting back its completion date? Let us know!