Lost sponsorship, more social, and bursaries: the stories behind increased sports club prices

By Maggie Sawant, Students' Union Correspondent

The Basketball, Football and Tennis societies have seen the biggest increases in team membership prices this year.

The Football Club, which increased the cost of its performance membership by £45 compared to last year, has attributed the price increase to an accumulation of debt, which began five years ago when the club lost its main sponsor.

On inheriting the Club, the Students’ Union advised the new committee to increase its membership prices, or face cutting two of its six teams.

Joe Williams, President of the Club, told Epigram: ‘Obviously, having as many people play football as possible is the main priority, so that was the reason for this increase.’

Having as many people play football as possible is the main priority

‘Bursaries and payment plans were available for people who struggled with the prices, but everyone has managed to afford the prices and the finances are looking in a much better situation this year.’

Like the football club, the Tennis Club this year also increased the price of its performance membership.

However, Issy Hardy, president of the Club, told Epigram that the price increase of some of their memberships is 'in line with our increase in coaching sessions, so the price per session is actually better value for money, but people looking to improve or play at a high level have access to more hitting time.

'Because we didn't want the increase in team membership prices to put people off joining the Club casually, we introduced a £10 social membership - two free play sessions per week and access to all of our event and kit subsidies - to make tennis accessible for people just looking for a runabout.

'Tennis offers people the chance to be involved in a sports club without paying extortionate prices.

We didn't want the price increase to put people off joining the club casually, so we introduced a £10 social membership

'And even after the increase in price for our top athletes, tennis is one of the cheapter [elite performance] sports and we have loads of training time. We offer six-time-weekly training and BUCS matches for £130.'

Featured image: Unsplash / Duffy Brook

Do you think sports societies offer good value for money? Let Epigram know!