Cuffing season has nothing to do with your shirt sleeves

Everybody's talking about cuffing season. What is it? Why do students find themselves looking to 'cuff' people at this time of year?

By Laura Aish, Film and TV, Digital Editor

The Croft Magazine // Everybody's talking about cuffing season. What is it? Why do students find themselves looking to 'cuff' people at this time of year?

Cuffing season. It sounds like some sort of weird fashion event on the calendar revolving around shirt sleeves. However, this phenomenon actually has nothing to do with shirt cuffs - or even cuff links.

So, what is cuffing season actually all about? According to the Urban Dictionary, the online tome of all things slang and current, the general definition of cuffing season seems to be when people who would ordinarily be content with being on their own start to seek out someone to endure the cold, winter months with.

That’s right. As the warm summer months subside, the ice lollies and sunny days begin to fade into the far distant reaches of our memories and the colder weather and shorter days begin to draw in, bringing a sense of loneliness along with it.

The term cuffing appears to be a reference to handcuffs, suggesting that the person who is seeking out a relationship during this time is looking to essentially handcuff themselves to someone else for the duration of winter with potential of forging a long-term relationship in the process.

"the person who is seeking out a relationship during this time is looking to essentially handcuff themselves to someone else" | Unsplash / Bill Oxford

The question is though, is there actually any truth behind it? Apparently, after a cursory Google search, it seems so. It  seems that people really do feel more drawn to seeking out partners and relationships in the colder winter months, there are multiple articles written about it and it is used as a hashtag on various social media platforms.

Although it has become a funny meme and something we joke about, cuffing season could be seen to highlight the fact that some of us really can feel more alone during times when couples are all over our screens and around us – Valentine’s Day is another famous example.

Every romantic Christmas movie. A plethora of cheesy adverts showing everyone cuddling up in a cosy scene. That Christmas episode of your favourite show where all of the couples have cutesy moments, giving each other special gifts as the snow begins to gently fall around them.

A fair few of us are left longing for a partner after watching Amanda and Graham fall in love in The Holiday | IMDB / The Holiday

It is important to remember though, that there are plenty of other ways to feel fulfilled than to seek out a new relationship. Even though the pressure of what we see in the media around us may make us feel differently sometimes.

On the cusp of the New Year, a time famous for making new resolutions and making positive changes in our lives, it is the perfect time to start something new – and it certainly does not just have to be a new relationship.

Why not try a new society or group? Have you always had a secret passion for acting and singing after seeing Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018) but just felt too afraid to go along to that musical theatre or improv meeting? What about trying to learn a new instrument? You can practice your Busted impressions and air guitar all you want, but those guitar chords won’t learn themselves.

This could also be the perfect time to take up a new class and learn a fresh skill or discover a new hobby. If you find yourselves at a class that involves making something, you could even double it up with some handy and budget gift ideas for your friends and family.

It seems that cuffing season is upon us. It has nothing to do with shirt sleeves, or even cuff links, but it could be the perfect opportunity to try something new and start those New Year resolutions early.

Featured: Unsplash / Jacob Gonzales