Movember: Bristol sport's month of moustaches

Movember, now a 12 year old global phenomenon, was born out of an idea to grow moustaches in order to raise money for charity

By India Gay, Sports Editor

Movember, now a 12 year old global phenomenon, was born out of an idea to grow moustaches in order to raise money for charity.

This charity would aid research for prostate cancer;  however the focus has since widened to include male health in general, particularly research into testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention.

Mental health among men is a particularly silent subject. In recent years, there has been a growing  importance highlighting the need for men to talk to one another about both their mental and physical health. Movements such as Movember and the Ask Twice Campaign encourage men to do this.

Movember Foundation Logo / Epigram | Courtesy of the Movember Foundation website 

At the University of Bristol mental health is a problem that all genders struggle with. It is widely known that sport aids mental and physical health, not only creating a network of likeminded people to engage with, but also relieving stress and helping maintain a positive mental attitude.

While sports teams continually support movements throughout the year, during the month of November they also help to raise money for Movember.

'Bristol University sports teams have raised £10,472, smashing their £5,000 target'

Sports teams all across the University have come onboard to support the cause by taking part in many different activities as well as growing some questionable moustaches. Teams such as Lacrosse, Rugby, Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball and Football are all contributing to the cause.

With donations pouring in, this year is sure to be a successful one. By using their platforms and wide community of followers, sports teams are able to rally all kinds of support and donations. So far *as of the 10th November 2019* Bristol University sports teams have raised £10, 472 smashing their £5,000 target.

UBRFC members and their moustaches / Epigram | Courtesy of the Movember Foundation wesbite 

Bristol Rugby’s Movember ambassador, Tomasz Pozniak, stated that the University’s Rugby team have contributed almost half of this figure and that they have had the largest club effort ever with over 70 clubmen signed up to grow moustaches.

“This number is set to increase as there are several events planned, including two ‘Wednesday Night Lights’ and a ‘wax your bro’ event which looks to get all genders involved.” The University’s Ultimate Frisbee has also managed to raise over £1,500 so far this year, with a tenfold increase of their efforts last year.

Over the coming weeks, we look forward to seeing handlebars, bum fluff and a few Charlie Chaplins from all of our sports teams!!

Featured Image Credit: Movember Facebook UK

In order to support Movember, please head over to https://monetwork.co/bristoluni?mc=1to donate via one of the University of Bristol sports teams.