Pub Review: the lowdown on Bristol students' favourite pubs

All our favourite staple student pubs are ranked from worst to best... do you agree?

By Leah Martindale, Film & TV Editor

The Croft Magazine // All our favourite staple student pubs are ranked from worst to best... do you agree?

With autumnal rainy days fast approaching, and the stress of essay season looming overhead, it is officially approaching my favourite time of year: pub season! Windy nights sat huddled around pub tables drinking ‘just one’ pint, shedding layers as your face steams up entering the overheated bar, gossiping over mulled wine (or just regular wine)... I can’t wait. And so, with that in mind, I have compiled a completely subjective but also entirely correct ranking of Bristol student-favourite pubs.

8. Berkeley

A student staple, the Wetherspoons chain The Berkeley sits on the Triangle opposite the Wills Memorial Building. Despite the regular slurry of students on pub crawls, society socials, and cheapo pres slogging through on any day of the week, someone has to say what we are all thinking: the Berkeley is not a good pub. With its weird layout, hostile interiors, lack of windows, the Berkeley’s worst trait is its complete ignorance of the pub standard - the pub garden. If you like sitting inside crowded around sticky tables and overhearing people’s conversations four metres away thanks to a freak of architecture, the Berkeley is for you - but you may have problems.

7. WG Grace

Only slightly above the Berkeley, the saving Grace (get it?) at this Whiteladies classic is only its lighter interior and slight smattering of outside seating. Slightly further away from student central, you are moderately more likely to find a seat in the Grace, without sacrificing the potential to get a cheeky Briscrush or spot your society dad embarrassing himself on the fruities. All the charm of the Berkeley, plus actual charm.

6. Cori Tap

The Coronation Tap is a story passed down in legend from final year to fresher, with completion of the Ten Before Ten challenge lauded higher than a first class degree. While its signature drink - the Exhibition cider, 8+% and served in half pints - will leave you truly ‘Corried’, its card limit, cramped interior, and weird frosted glass toilet doors leave much to be desired. A deserving place at number 6.

My friend Wallis with her “I Got CORRIED!” badge for finishing the 10 before 10 (post vomit pre extra vomit)

5. White Rabbit

Veering only slightly across the road from the Balloon Bar you will find the White Rabbit. As a fourth year, and so practically a geriatric, I remember the days long gone when 2-4-1 pizzas were a staple, an expected practice in the welcoming arms of the White Rabbit, not a treat coerced from your poor student hands with embarrassing and recognisable Facebook posts in the middle of the day. This iconic pub’s ranking has fallen significantly due to their incessant need for self-promotion, but still remains its slot on the list for its truly luscious rooftop garden.

At The Brass Pig

4. The Brass Pig

The Brass Pig is a staple in freshers culture. I’m not sure how I first came to know of its fabled existence, but I spent many a hazy first-year night in its hallowed halls. The further into your university career you get the more you distance yourself from it - ‘it’s a fresher hangout, it’s full of first years’ - until one day you realise that being cool isn’t worth being sad, and come crawling back to the Sow’s open arms and nourishing teats. For a triangle-central boogie and overpriced pint, there’s nowhere better than the Brass Pig.

3. White Harte

Situated just past the Wills Memorial Building, the White Harte boasts a handsome interior, with spacious booths, bar-stool tables, and seating of all kinds. With a pool table and occasionally Mario Kart, large TV screens showing everything from the World Cup to Eurovision, and a sheltered downstairs smoking area if you need a breath of ‘fresh’ air, there is little the White Harte can be faulted for. I would personally recommend their elderflower cider for those looking to dance on the fruitier side of life.

2. The Apple

‘The Cori Tap 6 and the Apple 2? But they’re basically the same!’ You may say. But you may be an idiot. While both are known for their strong and small cider servings, the Apple boasting the 8.4% Old Bristolian, the Apple far outranks the Cori Tap for three simple reasons. 1. It’s far larger, boasting a downstairs, upstairs, and outdoor seating area. 2. The Old Bristolian is drinkable not only for alcohol content, but also for taste. 3. It’s on a BOAT. The novelty never wears off. There is truly nothing that could dampen my mood once I am aboard. I once saw a rat swim past and if anything it improved my day.

At Steam (No.1!)
  1. Steam

A rogue choice for the number 1 spot, but my favourite will always be Steam. With a gorgeous outdoor area, pool tables, a funky interior, student discount drinks, and the sister pub Shebeen running an addictive pub quiz every Thursday at 8pm - ran by the ever excited to see me, Edd - Steam is my absolute favourite Bristol student drinkery. My greatest regret in moving away from Whiteladies is not being 5 minutes walk from my favourite hangout, but now the absence has only made the heart grow fonder. Give it a try - I guarantee you won’t regret it.