Four ultimate student weekend staycations in Bristol that will impress your mates

Here is Epigram Travel’s Guide to some of Bristol’s best staycation locations which will wow your friends and family.

By Will Holmes, Digital Travel Editor

The Croft Magazine // The time for sunny holidays is over as we head steadily towards winter and term time again - but travelling and exploring does not stop! Staycations encourage us to discover more about the hidden treasures close to home.

For art lovers

Grafitti

Stokes Croft is a treasure trove of Bristolian (and often politically charged) street art. The home of Banksy has sprouted a host of other daring murals. Amongst the most striking are Jody Thomas’s fifteen-metre-high mural of the Swedish climate change activist Greta Thunberg and a mural that recreates the iconic artwork of Leonid Brezhnev (the former Soviet leader) and Eric Honecker (East Germany’s leader) kissing with Donald Trump and Boris Johnson.

If you are also a fan of art history, Bristol Museum boasts works from Italian Renaissance masters like Giovanni Bellini, the great English landscape painter John Constable a selection of breath-taking ceramic treasures from the China and Japan. You can take a step even further back in time by visiting the Egyptian archaeological remains and the best-preserved dinosaurs in Britain.

A portrait of John Lennon by artist Eduardo Cobra that was painted during Upfest on the Tabacco Factory in Southville | Unsplash / Nick Fewings 

Watershed

Film fanatics must see the cultural hub that is the highly popular Watershed. Watershed plays host dozens of cutting edge film festivals that have cemented its status as one of the best indie cinemas in the UK.

Bristol Hippodrome (Welsh National Opera)

If you are a fan of musical theatre, opera or just a good panto, then the Bristol Hippodrome is definitely worth a visit. There is a large offering from the high end performances by former Britain’s Got Talentstar Susan Boyle in March, Rhod Gilbert and Frank Skinner as well as popular musicals such as The Lion King.

For animal lovers

Bristol Zoo

Dare to venture on the wild side of Bristol! Animal-lovers can enjoy marvelling at seals, penguins and meerkats amongst the 400 species of animals at the zoo. Special highlights include a rare 203kg gorilla and the award-winning botanical gardens.

Check out the amazing animals at Bristol zoo | Unsplash / Nicole Dreyer

Bristol Aquarium

If you prefer sea creatures then head to the Bristol Aquarium, aptly in Harbourside. The aquarium takes visitors from to the tropical underwater gardens of the Mediterranean. Whilst you definitely cannot miss is a life-size recreation of a sunken ship, keep an eye out for the spectacular seahorse display.

Wild Place Project

Get up close and personal with wolves, lynxes and bears! If you prefer a more real experience with some of UK’s wildest beasts, then this 40-acre woodland could be for you. If that wasn’t enough already then there is also the outdoor climbing adventure aptly named The Leap of Faith!

For the engineering enthusiasts

Clifton Suspension Bridge

This iconic landmark is Epigram’s very own logo. The Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel never lived to see his project completed, yet since 1864, it has attracted thousands of visitors who come to enjoy the spectacular views of the Avon Gorge.

A student artwork of the Clifton Suspension Bridge | Epigram / Will Holmes

SS Great Britain

Another of Brunel’s greatest feats is the UK’s first great ocean liner. In 2017-2018, it was Bristol’s top attraction and ranked in the top 10 museums in the country. A particular highlight is the unique view you get as visitors; head ‘underwater’ to wonder at the ship’s scale from beneath the ‘glass sea’. Definitely one for all the crew!

Aerospace Bristol

Bristol’s engineering history is not just dominated by Brunel. Aerospace Bristol walks you through all of the UK’s greatest aviation projects with the famous Concorde taking the limelight in the display.

For the sports fans

Ashton Gate Stadium

The stadium hosts two of the most important sporting teams in Bristol: Bristol Bears, the premiership rugby team, and Bristol City from the championship. It has witnessed historic victories over Manchester United, Watford and Crystal Palace, as Bristol City hope to one day making history by earning promotion to the Premier League.

Our Digital Travel Editor enjoying a Bristol City match at Ashton Gate | Epigram / Will Holmes

Bristol Bears continued to go from strength to strength in rugby union’s top division, following their promotion to the top flight in 2018. They are now bidding to earn a spot in European competitions and have attracted big signings such as the All Blacks full back Charles Piutau and England internationals Nathan Hughes and Dave Attwood. If you manage to be part of the varsity rugby team then you might even play in the 27 000-capacity stadium yourself!

Featured: Unsplash / Matthew Gerrard

Find The Croft Magazine in every copy of Epigram newspaper