Balloon Bar announces new plans to fight food waste

Unsold food from Balloon Bar will now be available to order via the app Too Good To Go.

By Maddy Russell, News Editor

Unsold food from Bristol SU's Balloon Bar will now be available to order via the app Too Good To Go.

The University has announced its new partnership with food waste company Too Good To Go as part of plans to minimise food waste at Balloon Bar.

The partnership will mean that a selection of the day’s unsold food will now be available to order via the Too Good To Go app.

This comes following the launch of the Source’s new menu, which aims to focus on providing more fresh, local and homemade products, with a great focus on vegan options.

Using the Too Good To Go app, students will now be able to purchase ‘Magic Bags’ of surplus food, for reduced prices, and collect them from store.

Alongside its partnership with Too Good To Go, the Balloon Bar has launched a number of other sustainable initiatives, including removing the sale of plastic water bottles, introducing vegware for takeaway containers and encouraging the use of keep cups.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Bristol SU said: ‘Sustainability is one of our core values, so it’s great that the Balloon Bar has teamed up with Too Good To Go to reduce food waste. We’ll be looking for more ways throughout the year to decrease our waste and make sure the bar is running more sustainably.’

Featured Image: Epigram/Claudia Dupe

Do you think Bristol Uni is doing enough to reduce its food wastage? Let us know!