Motion listed second best UK club in DJ Mag’s Top 100 Clubs guide

Motion has been ranked the world's 11th best club, after being voted 16th in 2018.

By Nina Bryant, Deputy News editor

DJ Mag have released this year’s Top 100 Clubs guide, with Motion & Marble Factory ranked 11th in the world, after Printworks in 9th place.

The Bristol club was ranked just below Berlin’s famous Berghain, moving up five places since last year. It was also voted higher than the likes of London’s Fabric and Manchester’s Warehouse Project. In terms of UK clubs, it was only beaten by London’s Printworks, which has also moved up from 14th to 9th place since 2018.

This recognition comes in spite of last month’s overcrowded event hosted by The Blast, after which ticketholders were offered an apology from both the venue and the promoter.

DJ Mag has attributed Motion’s moving up in the rankings to the club’s distinctive atmosphere, created by its innovative use of the warehouse’s original Victorian architecture, as well as the wide scope of guests it attracts. They also noted the vast opportunities offered by the venue’s various spaces, including the recent renovation of the Marble Factory in autumn last year, increasing its capacity from 600 to 1,600.

Speaking about the venue in an article, DJ Mag said:

‘The venue plays host to the city’s In:Motion parties, home to some of underground house and techno’s leading artists. Moodymann, Groove Armada, Floating Points and Erol Alkan have all performed at the converted Victorian Warehouse since it opened last year.’

As well as hosting In:Motion, the venue is also known for its regular events featuring a variety of genres. The club regularly hosts promoters such as Just Jack, Hospitality and RUN, whilst during the summer events such as Yard: Open Air Club can be enjoyed in the expansive outdoor areas.

Featured image: Epigram / Nina Bryant

Do you think Motion deserves to be listed as UK's second best club? Let us know!