Review/ 'To invest in NAO's music is to invest in an artist who deserves every inch of her platform'

NAO brought her self-branded 'warped-funk' and 'contageous energy' to Bristol's O2 Academy last week, with support from Jamie Isaac.

By Bethany Marris, Online Music Editor

NAO brought her self-branded 'warped-funk' and 'contagious energy' to Bristol's O2 Academy last week, with support from Jamie Isaac.

Last Tuesday, Neo Jessica Joshua, better known under ‘NAO’, headlined Bristol’s O2 Academy following the release of her critically acclaimed sophomore record Saturn. Whilst tickets were still obtainable on the day, it’s difficult to believe that anyone else could’ve squeezed into the sardine-packed crowd. The spectatorship was pleasantly eclectic, with couples in their twenties, glittery teenage fangirls and huddles of middle-aged mums all in one sweaty space. This variety is something that speaks volume about the accessibility of the artists work, and also reflects the shift from a previously distinctly electronic sound.

Tour life 🎈 📸 @jo.img 📸 @ishashahphotography

A post shared by Nao (@this_nao) on

The show opened with a set from London based singer and producer Jamie Isaac. A former Brit school attendee, Isaac has collaborated with artists such as King Krule and Jesse James Solomon. Isaac’s style is minimalistic, and his soft falsetto drifted therapeutically over Jazz keys and lazy drum beats throughout. Comfortable, confident and collected, Jamie looked at home on stage, even performing a rendition of Alicia Keys’ impassioned track ‘Unthinkable’ towards the end of his half hour in the spotlight.

Isaac’s set, however, proved to be the calm before the storm. In a move better suited for the arena than an O2 Academy, cladded in a neon two-piece NAO emerged from a centre-crowd trap door. The show exploded with Saturn’s heavy opening number, ‘Another Lifetime’. If there’s one glimmering reason as to why you should experience NAO live, it’s her stage presence. Joshua’s energy in performing tracks such as ‘If You Ever’ and ‘Firefly’ was tangible if not contagious, and her ability to momentarily transition to performing still ballads is remarkable. A natural frontman and a clear ‘born performer’, one does question why NAO had a long, albeit successful, career as a backing singer.

2

Following a tribute to R&B don D’Angelo, Joshua’s set began to wind down with a performance of Saturn’s eponymous track, then closed with For All We Know's penultimate track, ‘Girlfriend’. For an uber-keen, fired up crowd, an encore was an obligation, and the artist revelled in the opportunity to squeeze in a little more of her discogrpahy.

Ultimately, NAO’s performance was a treat. The artist’s agility and swagger on stage, coupled with an uncompromising vocal performance of her self-branded ‘warped funk’ was awe-inspiring. Moreover, NAO’s humble personality shone through as she opened up to the crowd about finding her comfort zone, realising confidence and struggling with the transition into adulthood. As she discretely affirmed, to invest in NAO's music is to invest in an artist who deserves every inch of her platform, and one who certainly doesn't take it for graunted.

Featured Image: Bethany Marris / Epigram

Want to write a review for Epigram Music? Get in touch...