Epigram Arts’ Guide to Bristol’s Best Independent Bookshops

Do you unwind after a hard day with a little James Joyce? Did you forget Mother's Day and still owe your mum a present? Do you simply need somewhere a bit cheaper than Amazon to get your course books? Fear not - Epigram Arts have compiled a list of Bristol's best independent bookshops.

By Anna Trafford, Deputy Arts Editor

Capture
Creams the cat of Dreadnought. Image credit: Epigram / Gabi Spiro

Last Bookshop

You’ve probably huffed and puffed your way past the bright orange facade on the slog up Park Street many a time. If you want some modern reads and a guaranteed good deal then next time you’re walking up, pop in to Last Stop for a halfway break. It’s 4 books for a measly £10 and the shelves are rammed with big name contemporary novels. If you don’t mind some dodgy cover art, then the English students among you might be grateful for their well-stocked selection of Wordsworth Classics.

B-C-1
Epigram / Anna Trafford

Bloom & Curll

If you don’t mind climbing back up St Michael’s Hill afterwards, this Colston Street gem is near enough campus to justify a cheeky study break trip. Decorative typewriters are dotted around, origami lanterns hang from above and an eclectic mix of fresh publications and golden oldies line the shelves. The feminist literature section deserves a special mention, as does the special editions shelf, guarded by an ‘electrified’ piece of red string (or so the sign says).

Hydra-2
Epigram / Anna Trafford

Hydra Books

This one is a bit further afield but well worth the trek if you’re after something a little bit different for your shelves. This community bookshop/coffee shop/music venue stocks a variety of books, including trans and queer literature. Curl up in a comfy armchair with a slice of vegan cake from the café and peruse their interesting selection of zines, which cover everything from surviving HM Prison Service to self-care.

Capture-1
Epigram / Gabi Spiro

Dreadnought

Light, airy and stuffed full of second-hand books from top to bottom, this riverside shop is difficult to pass by without being tempted to pop in. Another key attraction is the owner’s cat, Creams, who appears to have taken up permanent residency in the window (see above image). There’s a good selection of fiction, but the shop’s main focus is history and politics, with a special emphasis on local history.

Leopard-2
Epigram / Anna Trafford

Beware of the Leopard Books

Books spill from crates and burst from the shelves in this quirky little bookshop, hidden deep within the warren of St Nick’s market. You’ll need some time to truly make the most of a visit, with plenty of treasures to be found among the seeming disorder. Both fiction and nonfiction are well accounted for and, for any bargain hunting science students out there, there’s even a fair few undergrad-level textbooks.

(Featured image credits: Epigram / Anna Trafford)

What's your favourite independent bookshop? Let us know in the comments below or on social media.

Facebook // Epigram Arts // Twitter