The importance of green spaces in Bristol

With sunny spells plunging Bristol into a heatwave, we at Wellbeing have complied a list of the best natural spaces around Bristol that you can use to de-stress and collect your thoughts.

Luke Unger, Deputy Wellbeing Editor

With sunny spells plunging Bristol into a heatwave, we at Wellbeing have compiled a list of the best natural spaces around Bristol that you can use to de-stress and collect your thoughts.

Both student buildings and houses often feel sterile and dispriting. While we may try to impliment our lives with motes of nature, sometimes that spider plant in the corner of your room just isn’t going to cut it. Therefore, getting into nature regularly is imperative for one’s mental health, providing clean air, exercise and the ability to take ourselves out of ourt own stressed heads. With the human eyes most sensitive to both green and blue light, natural spaces play a key part in destressing a restless mind; whether it’s finding the perfect spot by the river or wandering through a quiet forest, we’ve got you covered.

Abbot Pool

Hidden away in the heart of Leigh Woods, this spot is a natural haven that can be enjoyed all year round. While it may be a bit of an adventure to find, once there the peace afforded by the insulating trees is well worth the journey.

53510697_334294340544128_2407173373764304896_n
Epigram / Amy Dutton

Leigh Woods

Who doesn’t like wandering through a forest, away from the noise of the city, accompanied by the smell of pine and sound of birds. Even better, this forest is right next to Bristol and is very easy to get to. Swap the sterile lights of the ASS library for the soft, speckled light which plays on the trunks of these trees.

The Downs

Iconic for a reason, the Downs has offered a space for students and Bristolians alike to relax on the expansive fields that separate the city and Stoke Bishop; whether this is relaxing in the sun with an ice-cream or smoking barbecue, the memories that the Downs create are timeless. Furthermore, with its wide spaces perfect for a game of football or a new-years-resolution-run, the Downs facilitates that important connection between nature and exercise.

53196710_972897329579067_5521382721902870528_n-1
Epigram/ Amy Dutton

Goats in a Gulley

What’s not to love??? Although these goats aren’t the most social, sitting down on a log and watching their peaceful existence as they munch on grass can remind us that life doesn’t have to be as stressful as we make it.

Botanical Gardens

Located in Stoke Bishop, just a short walk from the Downs, this hidden gem contains a variety of beautiful plant species. Wandering round this botanical Eden, this luscious garden transports you away from the hubbub of the city into a lanscape of flora.

Ashton Court

Fancy making your relaxing experience in nature a day out? Head up to Ashton Court, either by bike or bus and enjoy the rolling green grounds of the estate. With 850 acres of woodland and grassland, space will not be an isuue. Within the grounds deer roam free, so grab an ice cream, forget your deadlines and venture into the Disney landscape.

53681253_1051297871737196_5504988788784365568_n-2
Epigram / Sophie Engineer

So...

Living in Bristol we are spoilt with green spaces that surround us, spaces which can help bring us out of a rut of bad mental health, stress and low mood. If you know your friend might be at a low point, you could do worse to take them to one of these places. It’s hard to have the blues when surrounded by so much green.

Featured Image: Marina Afzal-Khan

What is your favourite green space to de-stress? Get in touch!

Facebook // Epigram Wellbeing // Twitter