Uni sports societies fundraise for hospitals’ mental health services

By Nina Bryant, Deputy News Editor

Yesterday, 21 March, more than 600 members of University sports societies embarked upon 10 hours of activities, as part of the annual Ignit10n fundraising event. As has been the case for the past five years, students were fundraising in aid of Above & Beyond, a Bristol charity which raises funds for city centre hospitals. The money raised by this year’s event will specifically be spent on mental health services. Students aimed to raise over £10,000.

lacrosse-pic-1

Epigram / Nina Bryant

This year Campus Heart, the University’s development programme to transform the spaces and services on Tyndall Avenue, joined forces with Ignit10n. The event took place in the middle of the campus in Royal Fort Garden, making it easy for students to drop by and enjoy a variety of refreshments, including mocktails, Friska treats, eco-friendly goodies, Innocent Smoothies and baked goods from the 'Bake your Thesis Competition’.

Speaking about the collaboration Cheryl Campsie, Head of Campaigns for the Campus Heart programme, said:

‘Ignit10n is about bringing students together to have some fun and raise money. Campus heart is about putting students at the heart of the campus and building community; together it felt like a really powerful collaboration.’

skipping

Epigram / Nina Bryant

The main part of event took place between 8am and 6pm; students took part in over 25 different sporting activities, including slacklining, fencing and salsa. Challenges included 60,000 lacrosse passes and one million degree rotations on the trampoline. This year Ignit10n also took on new challenges such as 24 hour tennis, overnight badminton and a cycle tour of the South West chain, Mission Burrito, branches.

global-lounge

Epigram / Nina Bryant

Visitors were able to meet the team behind the exciting new Global Lounge who ran a Spring pop-up, demonstrating how the first day of spring is celebrated in different cultures. There were also stands dedicated to Careers' advice, Bristol Futures and the new University Library.

Student organiser, Ed Hanton said:

‘This is the sixth year that Ignit10n has supported Bristol city centre hospitals through Above & Beyond, we’re so excited that this year’s event is right at the centre of the campus, so anyone can drop in to support, join in with or cheer on the amazing efforts of the students taking part.’

Did you enjoy Ignit10n this year? Let us know!

Facebook / Epigram / Twitter