Meet the playwright - Emma Rogerson

UoB's thriving theatre scene would be nothing without its student playwrights. Epigram Arts' playwright series sees what makes them tick.

Emma-Rogerson
Meet Emma!

What inspires you OR How do/did you come up with new ideas/the idea?

Broadly speaking, as a person and writer, I get really influenced by my environment (the people, places and sensory things around me). I’m also inspired by songs and images - before I start a new play, I make a playlist and a really rough mood board so I’ve got a reference point for everything that comes after it.

I get inspired by my friends and family - their mannerisms, the way they express themselves, their perspectives, their perceptions. There have been so many times when someone makes a really offhand, random comment to me that I find profoundly moving or interesting or significant and it creates, or comes up in, a script. No one is safe.

The theatre I engage with also inspires me massively - figuring out and analysing what makes plays tick and trying to understand my emotional responses is so soooo important to me for making new stuff. And Bristol has such a vibrant, rich theatre culture.

The standard of student theatre in Bristol is exceptional, and it both inspires and motivates me to match up - also having such a talented and large community of writers, actors, directors etc to collaborate with and communicate about theatre whenever I want is such a luxury. I feel so inspired every day being a part of it.

55554425_426572171446630_6824453843636453376_n
Photo by Kazia Royzcki

Did you write it all in a short burst or was it a slow grow?

Unfortunately, I’m all about short bursts - caffeine fuelled all nighters, furiously loud and irritating typing, pending deadlines. "Diamonds are made under pressure" is one of my strongest moral convictions.

Actually, I really envy people that can work more sustainably. It's partly a discipline thing, but mainly a passion thing - when I find myself really fired up on an idea I find myself wanting to completely suspend time until it's finished and on paper - traditional sleeping patterns and uni timetables are entirely disregarded. It’s something I’m definitely working on, especially as I’m moving more towards writing longer pieces - writing a ten minute play in a night is one thing, a 100 page full length play is a bit too blindly optimistic.

Have you ever had an idea that you later realised didn’t work? What happened?

Yeah, all the time. I think part of being confident in yourself and your voice is accepting that sometimes things don’t work out, and that it’s okay to backtrack, amend, revise or abandon. I suppose the nature of writing for performance is that it's a very public medium - if it goes badly, it feels very exposing and disheartening, which is why I think safe, supportive environments like scratch nights and rehearsal and development periods (R&Ds) are so crucial for new writing (and new writers).

I can’t think of anything specific that I completely abandoned (mostly I just revise things or keep them in a draw for a few months), but pretty much everything I write I look back on thinking there are aspects that could have been better. (Example - my Tobacco Factory Showcase piece “Better Left” springs to mind. Really well performed and directed, but wayyyy too complicated for a 15 minute play. In hindsight, I would have either simplified the plot or extended the length of the play. But ultimately, it was written on a development scheme - I learned a lot from it.)

I think self-reflection on what did and didn't work on a piece of new writing is really healthy, and shouldn't be discouraged. I'm very anti-perfect. I think "perfect" and chasing perfection is such a damaging concept and mentality - there are always going to be points of improvement in every script. I don't think any play is ever finished.

Did you ever hit a writers' block?

Haha - is grass green?

What was it like seeing your work on the stage for the first time? Was it as you imagined - how yes/no?

The first time I watched one of my plays staged was when I was about 16. I won a playwriting competition called the Julian Battersby Drama Award, which is an award specifically for emerging writers under the age of 30. As part of that, I went to see the play staged by some actors from The Arts Centre Group. I was really removed from the rehearsal process and really excited to see what they did - with quite an abstract, experimental script - and how they interpreted that. I didn't know what to expect. It felt no different to how it feels every time - it’s incredibly nerve-wracking, vulnerable, exposing, but simultaneously, profoundly moving, exciting and fulfilling.

The fact that they interpreted it really differently to how I would have done it was really rewarding and definitely influences how I work now - I’m not really precious about most of my scripts, if I think the writing is ready to be rehearsed or developed, then I’m generally really happy to leave them in a directors hands and give input sporadically, versus being involved every step of the way - it’s more fulfilling, for me (although - having said that, immediately after watching this very first play I adapted it into one woman show that I directed, acted in and produced - so maybe it brought out the inner control freak in me too. To an extent, it depends on the nature of the project - every play I've had performed has been a completely different experience, and I think that's the way it should be. That way, everything's organic and interesting and natural.)

54367090_362904417640985_7481313815330553856_n
Photo by James Hall

Do you only write plays or other forms of writing too? If you do, do you feel like that affects your style?

I write all kinds of things, and I'm really interested in the crossovers between different literary mediums. I love dialogue, but I also write a lot of poetry too. My writing's quite abstract now so I steer away from traditional ‘literal’ writing, but I used to write loads of prose at school. For completely chill, relaxation purposes, I write lyrics and music too (a musical is 100% on the cards way way wayyyy in the future).

I love writing letters to my friends, when I have time (I'm notoriously bad at keeping in touch and replying to messages, so being able to exchange big life updates all in one go is such a joy). I also keep a diary, although it's very irregular and messy. Recently, I've started to get more and more into theatre criticism - forcing myself to analyse lots of theatre, a lot of which I'm fairly apathetic towards, makes me question the theatre I watch and the theatre I make.

Writing, in all it's different forms, comes up in every single aspect of my life - what I want to do as a career, my degree, my social life, my relaxation time, the way I experience the world. I'd be such a different person if I didn't engage in all of that. My plays are influenced immensely by it all.

Look out for the next in our series of 'Meet the playwright' with Megan Good.

Canva / Gabi Spiro

What are your thoughts on student playwrights? Let us know in the comments below or on social media.

Facebook // Epigram Arts // Twitter