Bristol students given the chance to rename Senate House

The University of Bristol has decided to rename Senate House, after numerous staff offices were moved out of the building, as part of the new Campus Heart development.

By Imogen Horton, News Editor

Students will be involved in all stages of the process, including submissions, shortlisting and voting.

The naming process will be a three stage process, and currently submissions are open for all students to submit a name.

The second stage includes workshops which are open to all students to determine criteria and a shortlist. These will take place on February 6th and February 13th and students can take part by signing up here. Student advisors will get a £10 voucher and a LinkedIn recommendation.

The shortlist will then be opened up for all students to vote on at the end of February.

In a statement on Facebook, Stanford, Union Affairs Officer, said: 'It would be really great to get the best possible name that sums up the shift from this building being the home of the university senior leadership to being the home of Bristol students!'

He added: 'We have had almost 100 suggestions so get involved!'.

Opening up naming to a public vote hasn't always gone to plan. In 2016, Boaty McBoatface became the overwhelming choice in a vote to name a £200m polar research ship.

The student naming of Senate House could prove to be an interesting one, as Stanford added 'or you can make John House [Sport and Student Development Officer] happy and just aim to call it Bunker'.

Submissions are open until February 5th and you can submit your idea here!

Featured Image: Epigram/ Imogen Horton

What should Senate House be renamed? Let us know!