Student dies while climbing Ben Nevis

A Bristol student died on New Years Day after she fell while climbing Ben Nevis on a trip with university friends

By Ed Southgate, co-Editor in Chief

A Bristol student died on New Years Day after she fell while climbing Ben Nevis on a trip with university friends.

The student, 22, was with three other university friends on the Ridge Route on Carn Dearg. An emergency call was received by the Mountain Rescue Team at around 10.30am New Years Day after she slipped in what is said to have been icy and cold conditions.

Miller Harris, a member of Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team told The Telegraph that they think the group went slightly off route onto more difficult terrain.

A mountain rescue helicopter airlifted the three friends to safety as they were stuck on a ridge.

A University of Bristol spokesperson said: 'It is with great sadness that we can confirm that on 1 January 2019 one of our students died in an accident whilst on a hiking trip to Ben Nevis in Scotland. The student was part of a larger group of students who had organised this new year trip to the highlands.

'Our hearts go out to the family and friends of this student. This tragic accident will be deeply felt across our University community, and we will make sure we have support available to all those affected.'

Featured Image: Flickr / PierreHaut