By Patrick Sullivan, Film & TV Editor
ITV announced on December 4 that the hit reality TV show is airing a festive episode on December 17, reuniting 19 of the islanders who starred in Season 4 this summer.
A vast majority of the UK student population fell for the charms of Love Island again this summer, keenly following the antics of the fledgling couples, forced together by their desire for a £50,000 prize and Instagram fame, as they spent two months trapped in a sun soaked holiday villa off the coast of Spain.
It is not a show, however, you would associate with Christmas. Yet, a week before Christmas Eve - 9pm till 10:35pm on Monday December 17 - Love Island: The Christmas Reunion will air on ITV2. It is described as a ‘festive retreat’ for the 19 returning islanders as they ‘lift the lid on the dramatic breakups and tabloid headlines that have played out since departing the villa’.
Who will be returning?
- Jack Fincham and Dani Dyer - TOGETHER*
- Wes Nelson and Megan Barton Hanson - TOGETHER
- Kazimir Crossley - TOGETHER (with the absent Josh Denzel)
- Adam Collard and Zara McDermott - TOGETHER
- Laura Anderson and Paul Knops - SPLIT
- Georgia Steel and Sam Bird - SPLIT
- Ellie Brown and Charlie Brake - SPLIT
- Samira Mighty - SINGLE (or otherwise unknown)
- Dr Alex George - SINGLE (or otherwise unknown)
- Alexandra Cane - SINGLE (or otherwise unknown)
- Kendall Rae-Knight - SINGLE (or otherwise unknown)
- Eyal Booker - SINGLE (or otherwise unknown)
- Hayley Hughes - IN A RELATIONSHIP with DJ Tom Zanetti
The successful couples returning for an update are champions Jack and Dani, finalists Wes and Megan, Adam and Zara, and only one half of Josh and Kaz since Josh is away in the States.
More focus surely will fall on the failed couples and the underlying tensions between the singletons. Laura and Paul, Georgia and Sam and Ellie and Charlie will all have to face each other following their breakups, and they will be joined by fellow contestants Samira, Dr Alex, Alexandra, Kendall, Eyal, and Brexit expert Hayley.
I can safely say the Love Island Christmas Reunion is going to be a cracker.. ❤️🌴— Dr Alex (@DrAlexGeorge) November 30, 2018
Caroline Flack once again presents, and Love Island fans will be glad to hear Scottish comedian Iain Stirling resumes his heralded role as narrator. The format of the show is not yet clear, but there is no doubt it will include plenty of nostalgic memories, gushing friendship reunions, cute couple goals and heated disputes.
Let’s all hope it’s more rowdy than Christmas dinner with the family!
*At the time of publishing, this was correct, but in the afternoon of December 6, Dani Dyer confirmed the couple have split up.
Featured Image Credits: Twitter / @LoveIsland
Do you want a Love Island special to become a Christmas TV tradition to rival Eastenders and Doctor Who?