Plans for new University campus bolstered by £1 million alumnus donation

Bristol Alumnus, Dr Bhikhu Patel, and his wife have donated £1 million towards the development of the new Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus.

By Nina Bryant, News sub-editor

Bristol Alumnus, Dr Bhikhu Patel, and his wife have donated £1 million towards the development of the new Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus (TQEC).

The campus will be a hub for scientific and engineering development, with a particular focus on entrepreneurship and digital innovation.

Dr Patel, who graduated from the University with a degree in architecture in 1973 said: ‘I am so grateful for everything education has given me in life. I want others to benefit in the same way - helping the next generation become entrepreneurs and innovators of the future.’

Both Steve O’Connor, Director of Development and Alumni Relations, and Hugh Brady, Vice Chancellor, have expressed their gratitude for Bhikhu Patel’s generous donation.

Steve O’Connor said: ‘Bhikhu and Shashi’s belief in higher education…will be instrumental in realising our vision for the new Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus as a beacon of digital innovation and enterprise.’

In addition to donating to the new campus, Bhikhu and his wife, Shashikala, have formed the Bhikhu and Shashikala Patel Student Support Fund, which will provide scholarships and bursaries to students in financial need.

The new campus aims to benefit the wider community, not just the University, by connecting local businesses, social enterprises, students and academics. To ensure their plans complement each other, the University is consulting Bristol City Council about their vision for the Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone.

Featured Image: Ben17_34 / Flickr

Would you donate money to the University in the future? Let us know!