Top tips for looking after your mental health when travelling

Struggle with mental health issues whilst travelling? Leah Martindale shares her top tips for mind positive travel.

By Leah Martindale Third year film and television

Struggle with mental health issues whilst abroad? Leah Martindale shares her top tips for mind positive travel.

Travelling is an exciting time, full of adventure, exploration, relaxation, and fun. Travelling can also be one of the most nerve-wracking experiences possible. I am prone to serious travellers’ anxiety, so I need a lot of hints and tricks to keep me mentally grounded and physically a thousand miles from home.

Think like Santa!

Make a list, and check it twice! There’s nothing more stressful than thinking you’ve forgotten something, from the all important to the trivial. I always make a preliminary list of what I need, and once I get packing and remember other things, make a second list. Make one for coming home, too! Even make a list of tourist attractions or activities you want to do, to make sure you don’t come away feeling disappointed, or passport-less.

Fight or flight

Sometimes the very mode of transport itself can be anxiety inducing. When you think too hard about sitting in a plane above the clouds, or on a little half-sphere floating on an ocean of unknown, it can be scary. If, like me, you’re prone to overthinking, that sentence wasn’t too nice in itself. The key is to distract yourself. Bring something immersive - headphones, a book, a game you can play - and let yourself be completely distracted. Remember the deadline, and keep in mind that the end goal outweighs any worry. Pay attention to safety warnings so you can tell your anxiety that at least you know what you’re doing, and if worst comes to it, let a flight attendant or member of crew know how you feel, they are trained and happy to help.

31876844384_cbc8377ee0_k
Image: Flickr / Keith Williamson

Pallette panic

I suffer from extreme and complex anxieties regarding food, eating, and eating etiquette. Throw being vegan in a foreign land on top of it and it’s enough to make Dwayne ‘the Rock’ Johnson cry like a baby. Sometimes you’ll find yourself spontaneously out for a meal, or stumbling across somewhere unplanned that looks a dream, but often on a holiday you’ll plan your meals out. I’d recommend taking an extra few minutes out of your day just to scan a menu, in English if available. Then you’ll know if they’ve got something to your tastes and requirements, or if you’ll have to fiddle with the menu, you can mentally prepare.

Hints, tips, and tricks of the taxi

It can be so easy to roll up at the airport and realise that now you’ve got from point A to B you’ve still got to navigate all the way to Z. I’ve always been lucky in that when I’ve been unprepared I’ve always stumbled across shuttle buses, trams, tubes, or cheapo taxis, but please, if you’re prone to travel stress, check in advance! Find out about potential travel passes, night-buses, availability, and anything else that’ll catch you out. I’d rather be the tourist with a ten page travel proforma than one stranded at the airport, after all.

Parlez-vouz anglais?

Learn key phrases in the language. I cannot stress this enough. Anything you might find helpful will be more helpful if everyone understands. Butchered attempts are always better than shouted English, or worse, suffering in silence. Think what might catch you out and learn it, or keep a handy note on your phone: anything from “where’s the toilet”, to “sorry, I get anxious”! And for the love of Adiona, if you have an allergy, learn how to tell people!

Cover your back

We all hope our holidays will be plain sailing, but the case of something more untoward happening, you’ll thank yourself for having the number(s) for the local emergency situations. Have your insurance provider’s number saved, and satiate the niggling voice in your head that something is going to go wrong with the knowledge that if it does, you’re ready. (Side note: It can be tempting to go for cheaper cover by ignoring the ever-present “pre-existing conditions” box. If you have a mental health condition that may affect you, for your own sake, declare it.)

Livin’ on a Prayer

If you are a person of faith and are unsure of how you will be received or how comfortably you will be able to practice your faith, research ahead. Make sure you will be comfortable with your situation, and will have provisions available to freely practice. A holiday should never impede on your moral imperatives. If you are not of faith, research ahead. You can avoid some nerve-wracking situations of judgements and worst-case bannings from places if you know how to navigate the (especially religious) culture. Saint Peter’s Basilica is mighty beautiful, but only if you’re covered appropriately.

If you cover all bases and plan ahead, you can generally quash the most irrational of anxieties; and if you make lots of memories and keepsakes, you’ll always have something to remind you why you put yourself through it all. Happy travelling, and remember the mind’s rest is as important as the body’s!

Featured Image: Unsplash / John Matychuk

Have any tips to add? Let us know!

Instagram // Twitter // Facebook