Carrot cake porridge recipe

Here’s a recipe for those dingy winter mornings, where you just need some wholesome energy to get you through that icy cold walk up Woodland Road.

By Alex Stevens, second year Politics and International Relations student

The great thing about porridge is that you can completely tailor it to your own tastes. If you like to get more protein in your diet- add vanilla protein powder or stir in egg whites once the heat has been reduced to a simmer.

You could also consider other cake-themed porridges. Use almond extract and frozen cherries to create a Bakewell themed breakfast. Or add some pureed pumpkin (£1 in Sainsbury’s) for an autumnal pumpkin spice theme.

What you’ll need:

For the porridge:

• 40-60g porridge oats
  • 1 carrot (grated)
  • 100ml milk (or milk alternative)
  • 100ml water
  • 1 (or more!) tablespoon of maple syrup
  • A handful of sultanas
  • Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
  • A pinch of nutmeg

Optional toppings:

• A dollop of yoghurt
  • Chopped walnuts

Method:

1. Put oats, grated carrot, cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepan with your milk of choice. Cooking on medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil before reducing the heat to a low simmer, with the lid of the saucepan on.

porridge-1
Image: Epigram Food contributor/Alex Stevens

1. Add maple syrup and fold in sultanas.

porridge-2

1. As you occasionally stir your oats, gradually add water. Do this over the course of 10 minutes to make your porridge super creamy!

2. Once you’ve reached your desired consistency, remove from heat. A thick consistency works best for this cake-themed recipe.

3. To make your porridge taste even more like carrot cake, add yoghurt (as a mock cream cheese frosting) or chopped walnuts. If you don’t have these specific ingredients, feel free to compromise. You could use granola instead of walnuts to add a bit of crunch.

porridge-3

Featured image: Epigram Food contributor/Alex Stevens

Have your say about this article! Email us or comment below!