Bristol Conservatives reject the Government’s Brexit deal

Going against their own party, the Bristol University Conservative Association has stated that it ‘cannot in good faith support the proposed deal’.

By Will Charley, Comment Editor

Bristol University's Conservative Association (BUCA) has rejected its own party and slammed the government's proposed Brexit deal as 'the worst of both worlds'.

BUCA's President, Harry Eastley-Jones, told Epigram that it ‘cannot in good faith support the proposed deal' and argued that it ‘would not satisfy either leavers or remainers’.

The deal - proposed by Theresa May and signed off by her cabinet - proposes a ‘backstop’, which seeks to ensure that physical checks are not imposed on the Northern Irish border. This is the most contentious issue, with some claiming this would leave Northern Ireland in the Customs Union, whilst the rest of the UK would be outside of it.

Other features of the deal include a ‘transition period’ of 21 months that would begin after the UK leaves the EU in March 2019. A final point of contention is a financial settlement of between £35bn and £39bn. However, it is the issue of sovereignty that has caused the most anger, both in Westminster and in Bristol.

In a statement posted on their Facebook page, BUCA stated that:

‘The UK will continue to have to obey Brussels in significant areas. In particular, the regulation of goods and services as well as business regulations. This was not what was offered to the British people when they were urged to ‘take back control’. The deal will keep Britain in the regulatory sphere of Brussels without any say. ..It will leave Britain a vassal-state; a rule-taker without any influence over the formulation of those rules’.

Eastley-Jones stated that although the deal ‘could be of particular advantage for non-EU international students at Bristol University’, Theresa May’s negotiations have done ‘little to satisfy those who voted Remain. The country will be taken out of the Single Market, the Customs Union, the European Parliament, and much of the EU’s apparatus. It satisfies neither Brexit nor Remain voters.’

The Conservative Association roundly then condemned their party leader, Theresa May, for choosing ‘economic continuity [over] political sovereignty’, saying that the Government has ‘not negotiated from a position of strength’. Instead, they claim it has thrown away’ Britain’s upper hand and made ‘insufficient preparations’ for a no deal Brexit.

Criticising your own party and leadership is deeply unusual for political parties and may be reflective of the divides Brexit has caused, with an estimated 80 Conservative MPs similarly refusing to vote for the deal, despite it being a product of their own party.

Criticising your own party and leadership is deeply unusual

Bristol Labour Students told Epigram that they are 'pleased to hear that the Party will be voting against Theresa May’s Brexit deal'.

They added: 'The 500-page draft is unacceptable on a number of levels: there is a great level of threat to manufacturing and services, the necessary safeguards to protect rights have not been guaranteed, and Jeremy Corbyn is correct in his assertion that the ‘backstop’ solution simply creates a ‘de facto Irish sea border’.

'We believe it would be nonsensical to vote in favour of this deal, which does not serve the national interest, and certainly does not serve the interests of students: the deal has no guarantee on Erasmus funding, on travel and work rights in the EU, or on funding for EU students. Considering that many of the young people affected by these changes were deemed too young to vote in the 2016 Referendum, it seems the most logical solution is to have a People’s Vote, and better still, a general election.'

'We believe it would be nonsensical to vote in favour of this deal, which does not serve the national interest, and certainly does not serve the interests of students' - Bristol Labour Students

Bristol Liberal Democrat Students have decisively rejected the government's proposal, stating that 'the Liberal Democrats would not support any deal that would see us leaving the EU'. Max Langer, the President,told Epigram that the deal will do 'damage to our economy' just when 'students are starting their careers' and that Theresa May's proposals would make Britain 'subservient to EU rules without any say in their construction'. The party therefore continue to advocate for a Peoples' Vote.

Not dissimilarly, Bristol Green Soc have also opposed the deal, writing to Bristol West MP Thangam Debbonaire and asking her to 'not be bullied and blackmailed by Theresa May in supporting her deal' but instead to support a Peoples' Vote.

Rather differently, the Bristol University Conservative Association has instead echoed the calls of ardent-Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg and local Brexiteer James Gray (Conservative, North Wiltshire) in calling for a ‘Canada +++ deal’, one that would mirror the recent trade deal signed by the EU and Canada but would include ‘provisions to address the Northern Irish border issue’. Some MPs have alleged that such a deal is unrealistic and impossible to achieve.

Despite this, BUCA has said that the current deal ‘will be a welcome relief to many EU students at Bristol University’, due to its emphasis on protecting EU citizens’ rights. Nonetheless, they have decided not to support it or the Conservative Government.

Featured Image: Flickr / Duncan Hull

Do you think Theresa May's deal is beneficial for students? Let *Epigram* know.

Facebook // Twitter