Review/ Bugzy Malone @ O2 Academy

Daisy Hall reviews Bugzy Malone at Bristol's O2 Academy.

By Daisy Hall, Third year, Psychology

Daisy Hall reviews Bugzy Malone at Bristol's O2 Academy

I may be partial to a cup of tea whilst I’m snuggled up on the sofa with a hot water bottle watching TV, but never have I felt more like a grandmother than at the Bugzy Malone gig on Friday. One kid was celebrating his 13th birthday whilst another tween lit-up mid mosh… Why was I never this cool? Actually I’ve just re-read my first sentence,never mind.

The gig got off to a rather slow start with a couple of random DJs and lots of waiting. However, once Bugzy Malone took to the stage, things finally started getting good. No wonder The Guardian called him the first Manchester Grime artist to reach national commercial success, he’s a genius. His tracks are immense with powerful lyrics. Malone’s collaborations with Tom Grennan ‘Memory Lane’; RagnBone Man, ‘Run’, and JP Cooper, ‘Ordinary People’, went down especially well with the young crowd.

As each track was performed, the accompanying music video was played in the background. Although an interesting choice, it is entirely in fitting with Malone’s artistic choices. YouTube and visual albums have always played a major role in the release of Bugzy Malone’s tracks, ranging from YouTube freestyles to Journal of an Evil Genius. Journal of an Evil Genius is Malone’s first mixtape and visual album, released in 2015. Although not his best work, it makes for a great 50 or so minutes.

Bugzy Malone appears to be a man who does things on his own terms which makes him exciting as a growing artist. His latest album B.Inspired, influenced by his past, is an example of this, as is his Supply and Demand fashion line, inspired by some of his great loves; Batman and boxing. Interestingly, Malone originally pursued a career as a boxer with grime only forming a part-time hobby. Luckily for his fans, myself included, he quickly made the transition to rap.

The Bristol gig was merely a single stop amidst his UK tour, and I can’t wait to see what he’s up to next.

Featured image: BSOMEBODY / Bugzy Malone

Want to write a review for Epigram Music? Get in touch...