Butternut squash lasagne

This recipe is an autumnal spin on a classic dish, which is delicious and very filling! It combines butternut squash with spinach and ricotta; here are some step-by-step instructions on how to make this tasty dish

By Nadeen Jawad, fourth year dental student

What you will need:

• 2 butternut squashes
• lasagne sheets
• 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
• 1 tsp dijon mustard
• 450g spinach
• 250g ricotta
• 1 ball mozzarella
• handful of grated cheddar
• handful of sage leaves

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, half both butternut squashes and place them in the oven until soft (around 45 minutes).

butternut
Image: Epigram food contributor/Nadeen Jawad

1. Place garlic in a pot with some olive oil and cook for around a minute. Then, place all of your spinach in the pot, and leave to wilt for around 2 minutes. After this, add a handful of cheddar cheese and half of your ricotta into the pot. Stir together with some salt and pepper then remove from the hob.

butter

1. Once butternut squashes are cooked, remove the skins from them. Blend one of the squashes and add water to achieve a puree, and cut the other squash into small cubes. Place all of the butternut squash, remaining ricotta and Dijon mustard into a bowl and mix (season to taste with salt and pepper).

butter-2

1. Now grab your baking dish and begin layering your lasagne. Firstly place a layer of the butternut squash mixture, then some lasagne sheets. Next, some of the spinach layer, then some more lasagne sheets. After this, some more of the butternut squash filling, then some more lasagne sheets. Finally place the remaining butternut squash and spinach mixture on top and cover with mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven for 45 minutes.

butter-3

final

Feature image: Epigram food contributor/Nadeen Jawad

Have your say about this article! Email us or comment below!