Faraway Cocktail Club: a hidden gem?

Sometimes I want to go out, but I don’t want to club. I want the option of dancing, but I also just want to catch up with friends. I’m a big fan of the ‘middle man’ and Faraway Cocktail Club is one of these places.

By Jasmine Burke, Wellbeing Editor

44933246_345413369539833_1875482969712361472_n
Epigram / Jasmine Burke

Before visiting the Faraway Cocktail Club, I had not really heard about it. However, I am a big lover of cocktails, so I figured I could not go too wrong. I went intending to have a catch up and cocktails with my friend, but it turned out there was far more to it than that. Located down a small street in the city centre, it may not pop out to you straight away, but on entering you realise that it is a fun place to spend a night. I would not exactly call it a club; it is too small to be put with the likes of Motion, Thekla or SWX, but it is definitely a place you could go to dance. The music was loud, the lights were dark and colourful and the dance floor was packed, especially considering the fact that I went on a random Tuesday night. However, where it veered from club status – other than the size – was the fact there was still an area with tables and chairs where you could sit and enjoy your cocktails without feeling out of place for not dancing around. As someone who mainly came to try out the cocktails, this was a great realisation.

Poured into a tall glass that was not just majority ice, the Piña Colada did not skimp on quantity and after tasting it, I knew that it did not skimp on flavour either.

I was able to try three cocktails of my choice, as was my friend, all in an effort to promote their happy hour in which you can get two cocktails for £10 from 4pm. So, as I always tend to do, I started with a Piña Colada. Yes, it is probably one of the most ‘basic’ cocktails, but it is a big favourite of mine and tends to be how I measure the quality of a cocktail place. Poured into a tall glass that was not just majority ice, the Piña Colada did not skimp on quantity and after tasting it, I knew that it did not skimp on flavour either. I tend to prefer cocktails that taste like I am just drinking juice – the less alcohol I can taste the better, so this one was a winner for me. Plus, they did a good job balancing the pineapple and coconut ratio.

After going for my usual cocktail of choice I wanted to veer away from the regular choices, so asked the bartenders for their recommendations. They were incredibly helpful and informative, taking me through fruity, classic and other options and I ended up going for their Very Berry Collins – a returning Faraway favourite. The drink was a mix of cranberry, blackcurrant, cassis, purees, lemon and sugar but honestly tasted more of the alcohol than the berries. However, if you are after a strong drink with a hint of fruit, it might be one to go for. As a whole, their cocktails did not disappoint. Nor did the bartenders that were making them. You could tell they were having fun with it and they most definitely had the skills to show off with. They definitely aided in creating the playful atmosphere that the Faraway Cocktail Club had.

It was great being able to float in and out of relaxing and dancing.

I would not recommend going there if all you want to do is sit down and drink and talk, as the music is quite loud. However, if you want moments of talking and moments of dancing without feeling like you are hardcore clubbing, then this is the place for you. It was great being able to float in and out of relaxing and dancing, something I feel is not really an option in mainstream clubs. I would definitely go down to the Faraway Cocktail Club again. The drinks were reasonably priced, served in good quantity and it was nice having the mix of talking and dancing.

Featured image: Epigram / Jasmine Burke

Do you have any places in Bristol you like to go? Get in contact with Epigram's Living team! We would love to know!

Facebook / Epigram / Twitter