Opportunities for activity aplenty in Bristol

For any new student to Bristol, it is very likely that you will have recently been bombarded by calls to join a sport society.

By Henry Edwards, Sport Editor and third year History student

For any new student to Bristol, it is very likely that you will have recently been bombarded by calls to join a sport society. Signing up to a sports team is undeniably a great way to meet new people and stay active whilst engaging in a uniform sport.

However, sports societies are not for everyone. Some students may not have the time to be able to commit to training schedules, or equally may decide to dedicate their energy to other interests away from the sporting sphere. There are numerous other factors that could come into play here. Because of this, I often wonder whether those students who refrain from signing up to a sports team may feel a little left behind when it comes to opportunities to stay active during university. In a completely new environment, and with a freedom many young people may never have experienced before, it is very easy to fall into the trap of inactivity.

Bristol is a great place to live if keeping fit is on the agenda. Huge numbers of students will currently be settling into life in Stoke Bishop. To these people I would say this: take time to go up to the Bristol Downs. The vast expanse of green is right on your doorstep, and is a great place to go for a run or throw or kick a ball around.

Living in Stoke Bishop, there is often a tendency to assume that the bus is the only way to get into the city. But riding a bike to and from university is a perfect way to get your heart rate up; plus, when you factor in waiting times, cycling may even be quicker.

During my time living in Stoke Bishop, I tried to utilise the sports facilities they had there as much as possible. I played quite a bit of tennis, but you can find spaces to play squash, football or basketball. Taking advantage of these free spaces is a must for first year students.

aerial view of bridge
Photo by Samuel Oakes / Unsplash

When you’re exploring the city, you’ll find that Bristol is not a huge city, but it is a moderately hilly one. Simply walking down to and up from the harbour will have you working up a sweat, while a stroll around Clifton should get your legs moving. Walking to the Clifton Suspension Bridge is a great idea that not enough students think to do, but the views you get of the city make the exercise absolutely worth it.

Swimming, as you’ll know is a fantastic way to keep active and relieve the stress generated from university life. The pool in the Bristol SU building is perfect, reasonably priced and central. The University has it’s own gym, but that’s not to say that’s your only option. You’re likely to be handed a flyer advertising some other gym when you go out to sightsee around the centre.

If you do have a bike, exploring the surrounding areas of the city is very simple. Head up to Ashton Court for smooth surfaces and trails perfect for mountain bikers. The cycle path to Bath is wonderful on a sunny day. Perhaps for slightly more serious riders, road cycling to and over the Severn Bridge over to Wales – my neck of the woods – is perfect if routes towards rolling hills and forests are your cup of tea.

gray castle surrounded by trees
Photo by Ryan Searle / Unsplash

The best way I’ve stumbled across for keeping fit around Bristol is not in any club, but through delivering food to people around the city on a bike every weekend. The University’s sport societies are absolutely fantastic, and do join one if your head is turned. But for all those who perhaps find that a club is just not for them – never fear. There are countless ways to stay fit and entertained around Bristol.

Featured image: Flickr / Sam Saunders

Let us know your favourite acitivites around Bristol to keep active!

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter