Dyspraxia: an insight

Sam Napthine discusses living life with a diagnosis of Dyspraxia, a not-so-well known disorder. He talks about the effect it has had on general tasks, part time employment and his university studies.

By Sam Napthine, 4th Year Liberal Arts

Whilst in Sixth Form the facet of my life I found most challenging was not UCAS or my A-Levels, but instead my short-lived Saturday job at Sainsburys. Whilst at the time I was capable of writing A-level English Literature and Politics essays without too much difficulty, stocking bananas on shelves I discovered was my Achilles’ heel. I had landed a coveted place in the supermarkets produce section; where my lofty and self-assured self didn’t even consider the idea that two 6-hour shifts stocking fruit and veg may not be such a simple task. On my first shift it took me three times the amount of time expected to do the work and my team leader wasn’t pleased. This straight-A student he’d hired to stock fruit and veg was incompetent.

I spent at least two hours attempting to stock bananas on a 6-foot shelf, which however many ways I tried to place them, it felt like this impossible yellow jigsaw puzzle kept exploding in my face. My time at Sainsbury’s came to an abrupt end.

These basic challenges with what are considered ‘normal tasks’ are facets of something called dyspraxia. I was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child but even up until my late teens I discovered it affects me in new and surprising ways. Dyspraxia is considered a "developmental co-ordination disorder", those with the condition experience a wide range of complications. These range from having problems with fine motor skills such as hand-writing and typing. But the disorder is wide-reaching, I also struggle extensively with memory, planning, organisation and routine.

Dyspraxia remains under looked, but this may be changing. The most recent series of Doctor Who has seen Tosin Cole introduced as Ryan, the opening of the first episode shows him struggling learning to ride a bike. This kind of representation is a huge step forward.

it is not only invaluable for young dyspraxic’s to feel they have someone who they can identify with but is also extremely beneficial in that it provides an example of the condition to help those around us understand why and how we function the way we do.

One reason dyspraxic students struggle is because their condition contradicts many people’s linear perception of intellectual ability; for example,although I may have been able to write A-level essays, I failed to stack the banana shelf at work. The effect of a disorder such as dyspraxia therefore can be insidious, the gradual build-up of what may appear moments of clumsiness can crescendo into serious setbacks. With constant deadlines and a need to self-manage your time, this can become a serious issue for university students. Perhaps you drop a glass of water on your laptop or cannot read the assignment you scribbled down in your chaotic handwriting. These may seem inconsequential to onlookers or even your friends and family but having it occur constantly can be destructive.

The effect of a disorder such as dyspraxia therefore can be insidious, the gradual build-up of waht may appear moments of clumsiness can crescendo into serious setbacks.

In my first year at Bristol, fresh out of Sixth Form I struggled enormously with organising my time, with a Liberal Arts degree which meant having only around 8 contact hours a week. Lacking the kind of structure that dyspraxic students require I entered a vicious cycle of missed deadlines and distorted sleep patterns, which led to a serious drop in my mental health, one that impacted hugely on my degree. At the time I don’t believe the university and staff were aware of how to help me, and in hindsight it seems short-sighted to throw students who have disorder’s which effect their time management into such a low contact hour degree with little pastoral support.

Now in my fourth year, I have designed many ways to create my own structure and keep ahead of deadlines, but what I experienced was a serious lack of support for new students and awareness of disabilities like dyspraxia amongst the staff**.

Evidently, there is a critical lack of understanding and awareness around dyspraxia, while Monday 1st to Sunday 7th October 2018 saw University of Bristol make an extremely important effort publicising Dyslexia Awareness Week, the subsequent Dyspraxia Awareness Week appeared neglected. Considering recent events in Bristol and increasing mental health awareness, being aware of the diverse physical and mental disabilities that exists is pertinent in protecting students.

Featured Image: Epigram / Marina Afzal-Khan

Do you have any similar stories related to Dyspraxia? Comment below or get in touch!

Facebook // Epigram Wellbeing // Twitter