Number of student drinkers fall, as young people turn away from alcohol

The number of young people turning away from alcohol is rising, according to a recent study from University College London.

By Maddy Russell, Second Year, Politics and International Relations

The number of young people turning away from alcohol is rising, according to a recent study from University College London

The study found that the proporttion of 16-24 year olds who do not drink any alcohol has increased from 18 per cent to 29 per cent between 2005 and 2015.

The increase in non-drinkes has been found across a broad range of groups, including those living in the north and south of England, as well as those from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds.

Dr Linda Ng Fat, lead author of the sutdy, commented: 'The increase in young people who choose not to drink alcohol suggests that this behaviour may be becoming more acceptable, whereas risky behaviours such as binge drinking may be becoming less normalised.'

In a recent survey, almost a quarter of students believe there should be more social events at university that do not involve any drinking, according to the National Union of Students. This new data comes after calls for universities to introduce more 'inclusive spaces' for teetotal students.

When asked to comment, a Bristol University student stated: 'I don't not drink for any particular reason - it probably stems from a dislike of the taste and a fear of throwing up. I also feel that [some] people need to loosen up a bit, but I am happy to start dancing without it.'

'I don't have any strong feelings about alcohol, I don't mind heavy drinking on nights out, but what does bother me is when people force others to or call them names if they don't do it.'

Featured Image: Michael Discenza / Unsplash

Do you prefer not to drink alcohol? Let us know