An 'unprecedented opportunity to shape the University's approach to mental health'

Bristol University has launched open consultation on new mental health and wellbeing strategy.

By Imogen Horton, News Editor and Laura Reid, University Correspondent

The University is currently putting together a new Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy determining their plans on mental health and wellbeing for the coming months and years. To date, the SU officers have been consulted on this, but now the University is opening up the strategy document to feedback from all students.

In a statement, Vice Chancellor, Professor Hugh Brady explained: 'The first feedback period will run until 7 November, and I hope as many students and staff as possible will get involved and provide feedback to us.'

Having been involved in the preliminary stages of feedback, Bristol SU has responded positively to the consultation.

'We believe that the whole student body must have an input into the direction and implementation of this strategy. It is critical that you, as Bristol students, have a say in shaping this strategy because it will directly affect your student experience and thousands of your peers.'

'At Bristol SU we will hold the University to account to ensure that the discussion around mental health stays at the top of the university's agenda.'

The SU Union Affairs Officer has also commented that students are being given an 'unprecedented opportunity to shape the University of Bristol's approach to mental health'.

The launch of the feedback process follows the release of the Support Our Services' demands concerning wellbeing. Talking to Epigram, the University has indicated that they want to hear from as many students as possible, not only the Support Our Services group.

In response to the demands, Professor Brady has commented: 'We know there is more to do, and we need to take every step we can, working with our students, our staff, the city and health partners to ensure our community is as safe and supportive as we can possibly make it.'

'We know there is more to do and we need to take every step we can'

The University is set to release the final version of the strategy in December, the document being highly shaped by the feedback of students.

Students are able to complete the consultation online until Wednesday 7 November. They can also provide feedback in person at the Wellbeing Network Forum on Tuesday 23 October. Students are able to find out more details and book their place online.

Featured Image: Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

Will you take part in the consultation? Let us know