A guide to volunteering in Bristol

'University life is a lot of fun but being surrounded by students all the time can soon become stifling.' Deputy Features Editor Tom Taylor seeks out some of the most useful ways of getting involved and giving back in Bristol.

By Tom Taylor, Deputy Features Editor

Getting Involved: Deputy Features Editor, Tom Taylor seeks out some of the most useful ways of giving back in Bristol.

With over 330 societies, student halls events and a variety of student nights to choose from, freshers can often get caught up in the student bubble. It can be easy to forget that a Bristolian world exists outside of Clifton and Stoke Bishop. Volunteering at one of Bristol’s many community projects is a fantastic way of experiencing the wider city and can be incredibly rewarding. You get to meet new and interesting people whilst giving back to a community which you are now part of.

Below I’ve given an outline of some community projects which might be of interest and how to get involved. This list is by no means extensive and you may find a different project which suits you. Don’t worry about having to commit to a certain amount of hours - volunteering opportunities are usually very flexible and will work around your university schedule. University life is a lot of fun but being surrounded by students all the time can soon become stifling. Volunteering at a community project is a lovely way to escape into the vibrant and diverse city we call home.

St Werburghs City Farm

Where: Watercress Rd, St Werburghs, Bristol, BS2 9YJ
Get Involved: Send them an email at getinvolved@swcityfarm.co.uk
What: Nestled in the heart of inner-city Bristol, the Farm uses its community garden, conservation site and community allotments to educate and inspire local people. They aim to increase knowledge of where food comes from, provide greater access to local food and give people skills and experience. The surrounding area is one of the poorest in the UK and St Werburghs City Farm believes it is important to improve community engagement and provide a green space for underprivileged people. They hold weekly volunteer sessions which range from nature and craft workshops to working with animals and everyone is welcome.

Community Centres

Where: Various locations around Bristol
Get Involved: Visit your closest centre and explore
What: One of the easiest ways to become get involved in a project is to visit your local community centre. Many centres will have a cafe that you can volunteer in or you may be able to become involved in a variety of community groups. At the very least they will be able to point you in the right direction and help you choose a role which is right for you. The closest community centre for those living in the Clifton residences is Bristol Subud Hall, in the City Centre accommodations its Bristol Folk House and near Stoke Bishop there is the Greenway Centre. Other notable centres include Avonmouth and Malcom X Community Centres and Kuumba Bristol.

North Bristol Community Project

Where: 160 Gloucester Road, Bishopston, Bristol, BS7 8NT
Get Involved: Send them an email at nbcp84@gmail.com
What: Situated on one of Bristol’s most famous streets, North Bristol Community Project aims to promote well-being and community learning in order to bring about personal and social change. They celebrate diversity, inclusivity and bringing people together in a creative space. Volunteers can help run craft groups and workshops or even gain experience in graphic design and event management! They are always welcome to new volunteers and would really appreciate help from students.

Incredible Edible

Where: Various locations around Bristol
Get Involved: Choose an event here and turn up!
What: Started in 2014, Incredible Edible is a perfect volunteering opportunity for anyone who enjoys gardening or food. Their vision is to make Bristol an edible city by creating community gardens where anyone can grow and harvest healthy food. They have over 30 sites across Bristol and welcome volunteers to help tend the community gardens. On their website, you can find an events calendar of work parties which you can just turn up to and help out. This opportunity is perfect for students who are worried about committing to certain hours as you can pick and choose which events you would like to attend.

(Albumizr / Incredible Edible Bristol / Sara Venn)

As a society we have become ever more individualistic and disparate and it is rare to find a city that places so much emphasis on community. From St Paul’s Carnival to the Balloon Fiesta, Bristol has shown time and time again that community building is still possible and actively happening in 21st century Britain. As freshers and new residents of Bristol, you have an opportunity to join this community and give something back. Seize it with both hands and you won’t be disappointed.

Featured Image: St Weburghs City Farm / swcityfarm.co.uk

Do you have your own experiences of volunteering in Bristol? Let us know in the comment section below.

Facebook // Epigram Features // Twitter