Drinking pressure at University

With Freshers' week finished and many students enduring their perpetual hangover, Deputy Wellbeing Editor Luke Unger discusses the pressures associated with drinking culture at University.

By Luke Unger, Deputy Wellbeing Editor

With Freshers' week over and many students enduring perpetual hangovers, Deputy Wellbeing Editor Luke Unger discusses the pressures associated with drinking culture at University.

It is undeniable that there is a huge drinking culture throughout British Universities and unfortunately, Bristol University is no different. This side to university life is especially evident within Freshers week.

What Should I Expect?

Alcohol has been used as a social lubricant for centuries and, for the most part, has helped people relax and enjoy the company of those around them. However, with the affects of the British drinking culture and awkward excitement of Freshers’, many find the first few weeks of university occasion to explore the intricacies of the many pavements, toilets and carpets of Bristol city. Walking down through the Triangle at 3am, with sluggish figures, flashing ambulances, and mayonnaise smudged faces, the scene can only be described as apocalyptic.

For the most part, nights out begin in halls with pre-drinks. Unfortunately, in this more intimate environment, many feel pressured into drinking ridiculous amounts, often resulting in awkward conversations or consuming drinks you realllllly do not want to drink.

Walking down through the Triangle at 3am, with sluggish figures, flashing ambulances, and mayonnaise smudged faces, the scene can only be described as apocalyptic.

Often these pressures are not directly targeted at you or anyone else. I think the cliché image is a group surrounding an individual, screaming at them to down a drink or drink something horrible. However, perhaps what is more common is an indirect pressure felt by students. This can be a group constantly socialising through activities which involve alcohol.

How can I avoid this if I’m not a big drinker or don’t drink?

Address it

This is probably the best option to consider first. If you’re you confident enough with your flatmates, there is no harm is simply saying ‘hey guys, just to say I’m not a huge drinker / I don’t drink but I’m up for having some fun this Freshers!’. No reasonable human being is going to be angry or weirded out by you for your choice not to drink. If they do have a problem with it then your choice allows you to filter out unkind and unempathetic people you’d be better off without in your life.

Explore places with your flat that don’t require copious amounts of alcohol

Bristol has one of the most diverse nightlife’s in the whole the UK, one which can easily cater to good old-fashioned sober fun. Some venues are really worth investigating, to name a few, are: The Canteen (Located in Stokes Croft), Mr Wolfs, The Old Duke, Chance and Counters (boardgame bar), bowling at the Lanes and the hundreds of restaurants peppering the streets of Bristol.

Then again, nightlife just may not be your thing entirely, and that’s ok. There is a huge selection of societies which don’t revolve around alcohol. Head onto the SU website to have a peruse.

However, at some point, you may indeed find yourself getting ready to go out to a club or bar in Bristol where people will be drinking heavily. The question is, ‘How do I get through a night without drinking or drinking very little?’. If you don’t want to drink a huge amount on the night, try drinking weaker drinks or alternate between a drink and water or a soft drink. This way you can ‘keep up’ with your friends without getting ‘fresher-drunk’.

via GIPHY

Don’t forget that people around you don’t know you’re not drinking

While everyone else around you is telling you and each other you’re their best friend, crying into the VK or making greasy love to a Doner Kebab you can revel in the fact you’re completely sober. Comparing yourself to the crowd you, you’re a master of conversation, a professional dancer and the wisest person in the room.
What do I do if I can’t hack the night out?

Leave. Certainly, tell someone you’re going or leave with someone but leave. These wise words were given to me as I stood disinterestedly in the corner of Lounge at 2 in the morning. If it’s not your thing it never will be, and that’s ok. University is a precious time, with each fantastic second passing far too quickly before your eyes. It should not be wasted being miserable, trying to please people who will not remember the night anyway.

Nightlife just may not be your thing entirely, and that’s ok. There is a huge selection of societies which don’t revolve around alcohol.

Not drinking or drinking very little at University does not have to be a life sentence. It makes sense that the best memories from your university experience will be the ones you remember. Furthermore, University is full of people who are exactly in the same boat as you, eager to enjoy the amazing experiences Bristol has to offer.

Featured Image: Epigram / Luke Unger

How have you found drinking culture at University? Get in touch!

Facebook // Epigram Wellbeing // Twitter