By Nadeen Jawad, fourth year dental student
Soup is the ultimate comfort food – and it’s so easy to make too! Here is my recipe for a one pot healthy sweet potato and lentil soup, which is perfect for autumn time.
• 3 tsp. curry powder
• 3 tbsp. olive oil
• 2 onions – finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves – crushed
• 1 tsp. grated ginger
• bunch of coriander stalks – finely chopped
• 3 sweet potatoes – chopped into cubes
• 150g red lentils
• 1 litre vegetable stock
• 200ml semi-skimmed milk
• juice of ½ lime
• chopped coriander leaves
- Place the curry powder into a large pot, and stir it over a medium heat for 2 minutes, and then add the olive oil and mix together.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, coriander stalks and stir it for 5 minutes until cooked.
- Add the sweet potato, lentils, vegetable stock, milk, and season with salt & pepper to taste. Leave to simmer for 30 minutes – until the lentils and sweet potato are soft.
- Blend until smooth using a hand blender, and add the lime juice.
- Serve in a bowl topped with chopped coriander leaves and your choice of bread.
This is an easy and comforting dish for the season, so why not give it a go!
Feature image: Unsplash/Annie Spratt
Do you have any other autumnal recipes? Comment below!