Students to be offered a safe journey home in new SU partnership with V Cars

The Students' Union have teamed up with V Cars in order to ensure students can get a safe journey home at night regardless of whether they have money on them.

By Vic Dyer, Student Life Correspondent

The innovative new safe car scheme provides students who find themselves in emergency situations late at night with safe transportation. Its purpose and priority is to better ensure the safety of students.

Bristol SU's Equality, Liberation and Access Officer, Sally Patterson has stated the importance of getting students home safely. Patterson said: 'It’s so important that our students can always get home safely - our obligation to support our members does not start and end on campus!'. The partnership displays the SU's commitment to ensuring student safety at all times of the day and night, including those outside academic hours.

The scheme allows students to use the service even if they do not have money on them, enabling individuals to settle the bill later. Bristol SU guarantee the payment for students, then giving the individual 48 hours to go to the Students' Union in Clifton and pay the outstanding amount.

In order to use the service, students must call 01179252626 and quote 'Bristol University safe car scheme'. The student must then provide the operator with their full name, email address and U Card number and a car will be sent to their location as a matter of priority.

The innovative new safe car scheme provides students who find themselves in emergency situations late at night with safe transportation.

At the point of pick up, students show their U Card to the driver as verification of the booking. Depending on the circumstances, the driver will take the student to their hall of residence, residential address, police station or hospital.

Featured Image: Bristol SU