Deal or No Deal: How Brexit could affect student travel

Amelia Edgell-Cole highlights the benefits that the EU provides to us as students, and considers what might happen to these in light of our departure next year

By Amelia Edgell-Cole, Travel editor

Amelia Edgell-Cole highlights the benefits that the EU provides to us as students, and considers what might happen to these in light of our departure next year.

Almost 6 months to this day, on the 29th March 2019, our country will be faced with what potentially the most significant decision of our generation’s lifetime: Brexit. Since the outcome of the 2016 referendum, our entire political climate has been consumed with the decision to leave the EU and what it would mean for us both as a country and individually. How would it affect our consumer rights? Our environment? Our security? Farming? Manufacturing? And perhaps something we most take for granted - travel.

Having grown up in a social and political environment that allows for free movement around Europe, we’ve spent our lives thinking nothing of last minute city breaks to Paris and receiving free healthcare should anything go wrong once we’re there. In just a few hours and with no restrictions we can be in Berlin, Bruges or Budapest and enjoy all the freedoms and luxuries we do at home. But, for how long? Presuming we have a ‘No Deal’ Brexit and no formal agreements are reached by 29th March, how will the future of travel look for students?

1. ERASMUS Education Scheme

Established in 1987, the Erasmus Programme is a renowned EU student exchange programme which facilitates the exchange of students between 4000 participating European universities. The benefits of being immersed in another culture, learning a new language and gaining transferable skills are plainly evident - so much so that some academics speculate the ‘erasmus generation’ will prove a powerful force in the future. What’s more, as part of the programme, students are exempt from paying additional tuition fees to the university they’re visiting, and may apply for an additional grant, making the programme one of the most affordable and inclusive ways of learning about other cultures.

So what would a ‘no deal’ Brexit mean for this programme? Essentially, Erasmus is an EU programme, so, if no other agreements are made, leaving the EU will also mean abandoning ship, along with any funding students may receive to study abroad. What’s more, by limiting the amount of European students coming to study at our universities, and taking home with them an understanding of our culture and way of life, the UK risks becoming an even more isolated and disconnected place. It should be noted, however, that the government made clear the fact that Britain’s international exchanges with other EU countries are highly valued, and thus we would continue to take part in the Erasmus+ programme until 2020. Beyond this point, however, participation is uncertain.

2. Ease of travel

As things stand, it seems unlikely UK citizens will need visas to visit EU countries, but that doesn’t mean a ‘no deal’ Brexit would be without its implications on the ease of our travel. For example, breezing through passport control in a matter of mere minutes could be a thing of the past, as it’s likely we’ll be consigned to the queue for non-EU citizens. In terms of the cost of travel, things don’t look too bright either. As the pound drops in value against the Euro you’ll get less for your Sterling, making holidays and travel more expensive. What’s more, with doubts over the future of the ‘Open Skies Agreement’, which allows EU member airlines to operate in each other’s countries, it’s very possible the budget airlines we rely on so heavily will not be as affordable as we’re so used to - if they’re even allowed to operate at all.

3. European Health card

If you’re packing for a European holiday, the likelihood is your EHIC card is up there along with your passport and boarding pass as one of the vital things to remember. Currently, the EHIC - which has been issued to 27 million of us - entitles UK citizens state-provided emergency medical treatment within any EU country we visit - and vice versa. The card works in any EU country, as well as well as Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland, however, a no deal Brexit may mean EHIC entitlements are no more.

Plainly put, a House of Lords report in March 2018 warned that in the case of a ‘no-deal’ Brexit, ‘the rights currently enjoyed by 27 million UK citizens, thanks to the EHIC, will cease after Brexit’. The most likely outcome if this happened would be attempts to put emergency measures in place for UK citizens, but what shape or form these would take is hard to predict.

Featured Image / Unsplash

Do you have any thoughts on how Brexit could affect students? Get in touch!

Twitter // Epigram // Facebook