What will you be voting on at this years AMM?

0

FULL ARTICLE

A breakdown of the motions for the upcoming Bristol SU AMM.

The AMM (Annual Members’ Meeting), Bristol University’s biggest democratic event of the year, is due to return on Tuesday 27 February. Each year the event brings together hundreds of students who debate and decide Bristol SU policy for the next three years.

The main motions due to be discussed at this year’s AMM are as follows:

INCREASING INTER-FACULTY OPEN UNITS

This motion calls for more open units for a wider range of students. Currently the university offers 95 open units, but 60% of them are offered by the Faculty of Arts. The other 40% are shared between the faculties of Social Science, Law, Science, Engineering and Biomedical Sciences. The motion proposer believes students from all disciplines would benefit with a range of open units and more choice.

This motion asks for the SU to gather feedback from students and to propose more inter-faculty open units to the Undergraduate Education & Postgraduate Officer lobbying the University.

PROTECTING STUDENTS IN NIGHTCLUBS AND BARS

This motion calls for safer nights out for Bristol students. Current statistics have revealed that a shocking 1 in 7 students experience sexual violence. This motion asks that Bristol SU Bar and club staff are trained so procedures are followed with any harassment accusations. It is also calling for the SU to work with other popular night venues to make sure they have a zero tolerance approach towards sexual harassment.

BE MANKIND ACTIVE

Following the Be ManKind campaign, this motion suggests a male equivalent to Fit & Fab (currently a female only exercise programme). Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45, this student led programme with a voluntary committee and Bristol SU support, aims to offer affordable and non-judgemental exercise spaces to discuss and reduce mental health cases.

MAKING PG EDUCATION OFFICER ACCESSIBLE TO INTERNATIONAL PG STUDENTS

This motion wants to make the current PG Education Officer role more accessible and inclusive to PGT (masters) and international students. The PG Education Officer role begins June to June which clashes with PGT taught course and causes difficulties for international students with visas.

ESTABLISH A MULTIFAITH NETWORK

This motion asks for the 14th SU network to be ‘Multifaith’. The multifaith chaplaincy provides a base for students from a variety of faiths but currently there is no formal representation in the SU. The aim of the network is to connect interfaith relations, smash racism barriers and bring together mutual cooperation.

BRISTOL SU TO SUPPORT UNIVERSITY STRIKE ACTION

Due to the current strike action being taken by UCU in February and March this year over pension disputes, this motion is asking for Bristol SU to publicly support and publicise any upcoming and future strikes over the next three years.

BOYCOTT THE BORDER INDUSTRY ON CAMPUS

This motion asks for Bristol SU to cut ties with the border industry and lobby the university to do the same, making Bristol a national leader in the campaign. The border industry consists of a number of companies that operate in border security and immigration policy enforcement. Five of these companies run for-profit detention centres within the UK.

DENOUNCE BREXIT

In response to the results of the 2016 EU referendum, this motion asks for Bristol SU to lobby local MPs to reject the Brexit deal. It also proposes more support for students on the changes they face with regards to travel and work rights.

SUPPORT REFUGEE AND ASYLUM SEEKER ACCESS TO HIGHER EDUCATION

This motion wants the University to commit to a definite five-year plan on providing scholarships specifically for asylum seekers, refugees and those seeking humanitarian protection. It also asks for the University to declare itself as a University of Sanctuary by September 2018.

PREVENT FUTURE TRANS-EXCLUSIONARY RADICAL FEMINIST (TERF) GROUPS FROM HOLDING EVENTS AT THE UNIVERSITY

This motion proposes that an event hosted in Bristol recently was Transphobic, calling for changes to make sure certain student groups feel safe on their campus and that events like this don’t happen again. They want the SU to lobby on this issue, and for the University to adopt the same policy. They also want an events committee to be established, to vet proposed speakers/groups.

Students can vote in the priority ballot to make sure the motions they care about most get talked about at the meeting. If you wish to have a say on which issues you believe are the most important, you will need to vote by 12pm on Friday 23rd February. The AMM itself takes place on Tuesday 27th February at 6pm at Bristol SU and any student is encouraged to come along, vote and have their say in SU policy for the next three years.


Will you be voting in this year's AMM? Let us know:

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter

AUTHOR

COMMENTS