Deputy Food Editor Holly Penhale shares her one pot vegan curry recipe with us - perfect for a warming mid-week dinner!
Cooking time: 45 mins
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 aubergine
- 3 spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon of medium curry powder
- 1 pinch of chilli flakes
- 100g wild basmati rice
Epigram / Holly Penhale
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into bite-size chunks and slice the aubergine into discs.
- Finely slice the garlic, spring onions and coriander stalks and fry gently in a large saucepan with some olive oil.
- When softened, pour in the coconut milk and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and tip in the sweet potato and aubergine chunks along with the curry powder and chilli flakes.
- Leave the curry to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potato is softened, before stirring in the chickpeas.
- Meanwhile, boil your basmati rice on a high heat until cooked.
- Before serving, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the spinach and most of the coriander leaves.
- Serve up a hearty portion with a large spoonful of rice and finish by scattering the remaining coriander leaves on top.
Featured image: flickr / Akhil Tandulwadikar