The University of Bristol to celebrate National Storytelling Week

The University of Bristol is celebrating National Storytelling Week this year with the launch on the new campaign ‘#ThisChangedMyLife.’

The campaign aims to encourage people to share an experience that has changed their life – in the hope that this may inspire someone else to learn a new skill.

In turn, the campaign allows Bristol to exhibit its diverse range of learning opportunities befitting a city with UNESCO Learning City status.

Marvin Rees, mayor of Bristol, said: 'Sharing stories of what we’ve learnt is so important to be able to inspire each other to strive to reach better things. From learning in a formal setting to sharing skills with friends and neighbours, all experiences can have a positive impact on someone else’s life.

'I want people from the city to share their examples of achievements and learning experiences with friends and family next week in the hope that this may motivate someone to learn.'

The stories range from learning a new language or picking up a new sport, to something more formal, such as an academic achievement, or even just trying something new for fun.

As a member of Bristol Learning City, Bristol University are encouraging their staff and students to get involved by sharing their stories to encourage learning and the sharing of knowledge.

In his late 20s, Joshua Greenidge enrolled as a mature student for a Foundation Year in Arts and Humanities. During his time at Bristol, Joshua set up the Entrepreneurs Society for students: 'I established the Entrepreneurs Society to create a community that supports students developing the skills and experience needed to succeed as entrepreneurs in their own right, or to work in entrepreneurial environments.' Joshua is now studying for a degree in Anthropology and Innovation.

More stories like this will be shared across The University of Bristol’s social media throughout the week, using the hashtag #ThisChangedMyLife, to encourage the spread of learning in all forms.

Featured image: University of Bristol