Is this February drizzle getting you down? Why not read about Ellie Chessire’s New Year’s antics in Cape Town… Perhaps it’s time to get your travel planning hat back on…

I’ve been to South Africa a few times but never for New Year’s Eve. New Year was in our second week of our holiday and so by this point we’d become accustomed to the hot lazy days and balmy nights, very different from New Year’s I’m used to!

we decided to go all out and headed to Cape Town

Knowing we were going to be there for New Year’s Eve, we decided to go all out and headed to Cape Town. Cape Town is such a stunning city anyway and the Water Front was the perfect place to be on the final day of the year.

A nice shock to the system! I

I’ve had one hot New Year’s Eve before but it was still a shock to the system to be able to wander around in shorts all night with people sipping cocktails on the beach front. A nice shock to the system! I’ve never seen the fireworks in London but I have seen them in Sydney once before. Those were incredible and to be honest a didn’t really think anything could top them. Well Cape Town certainly gave them a serious run for their money!

New Year in Cape Town

There was something especially special about watching the fireworks in Cape Town. Knowing the political and social problems South Africa suffers with it was inspiring to witness people from every walk of life stop for a couple of hours to come together and celebrate the New Year. The bar that we watched the fireworks from was filled with people from all different backgrounds and there was something particularly special about that.

I definitely prefer being somewhere hot for New Year’s Eve, where you can enjoy the fireworks without running the risk of getting hypothermia!

The fireworks themselves were bigger and more spectacular than I could ever have imagined and looked particularly impressive with the background of the waterfront and the silent ocean beyond. I know not everyone would agree but I definitely prefer being somewhere hot for New Year’s Eve, where you can enjoy the fireworks without running the risk of getting hypothermia!

South Africa has come a long way in the last twenty years and the fireworks on new Year’s Eve really expressed this. The atmosphere was amazing and everyone we met was really friendly and excited for the New Year.

Action shot

It was the perfect place to see in 2017 and I was definitely not ready to come home! Cape Town would definitely come recommended by me for anyone looking for a hot New Year’s with some stunning fireworks!

I can’t wait to see where the year takes me!

I know many people are fairly nervous about visiting South Africa but I have to say I cannot recommend it enough for a holiday destination! 2017 started with a bang in Cape Town and I can’t wait to see where the year takes me!

We want to know what you have to say, get in touch with us on social media!

Facebook // Epigram Travel // Twitter

Share this…Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+