Evy Tang tells us all there is to know about taking on New Zealand: solo.

Monday 23rd January: Guangzhou, China
I’m now half way to New Zealand and I’m feeling pretty excited! I have 7 hours to wait until my next flight and I have no idea what time it is in China…or New Zealand for that matter. I was so nervous about the flight when I was in London, in case I felt ill, couldn’t sleep or got travel sickness. But in the end everything was fine – I had nothing to worry about. I even met another English girl on my flight also travelling to Auckland, also from Devon and from the rival school just up the road from me – what a small world!

Thursday 26th January
I arrived into Auckland on Tuesday evening and went straight to the hostel. I felt exhausted and extremely homesick. I didn’t even have the energy to look for something for dinner, I went straight to bed instead. I woke up at 3am when some Dutch girls left the hostel, so I went down to the common room and flicked through some books.

What am I doing coming all the way to New Zealand alone? What do I do now?

I eventually fell asleep again at 6am and woke up soon after feeling so far from home and alone. What am I doing coming all the way to New Zealand alone? What do I do now? Where do I go, how do I meet people? I miss home already which is very unlike me.
However, by 10.30am things picked up as I plucked up some courage, got dressed and headed into Auckland. I visited the art gallery and loved the Maori portraits – the artist had captured the individual expression of the people so well.

Saturday 28th January
On Saturday I got a ferry over to Waiheke Island. My Good Lord; it is so beautiful here. Clear blue skies and beaches. The birds sing in the morning and it is so peaceful.

Today I went on a road trip around the island and had the best glass of wine I have had in a long time! A local wine of course.
Sunday 29th January
I got up this morning at 5am to go fishing (for the first time), and was on the boat going out to a spot to fish at the same time as the sun was rising. There were three birds flying alongside the boat gliding just above the water, oscillating now and then. It was just breath-taking. It was one of those moments you want to hold onto forever; your mind is free, calm thoughts come flooding through.

I was staying with a NZ couple who had five cats.

On Sunday evening I got a ferry back to Auckland and again felt a little homesick as I left the Island where I felt so at home for some reason. Perhaps because I was staying with a NZ couple who had five cats. Anyway, I spent one evening in Auckland and watched the Aussie Final with a French and a German guy from my hostel dorm.
Monday 30th January
On Monday morning (very early) I began my journey on the Kiwi Experience bus, which headed down south – first stop: hot water springs. The beach has natural springs from volcanic activity under the sand, if you dig down far enough you can bathe in natural hot spring water. I burnt my foot as I splodged into one pool, it was so hot! Then I went in for a swim, my first swim in the Pacific Ocean. The waves were quite large but it was so much fun to dive into them, jump through them or swim ‘surf’.

It was such a beautiful day and stunning beach. After the beach, I went on a little walk with a couple others from the bus: a Swiss girl and a boy from Jersey. We went to Cathedral Cove and it was incredible. I couldn’t believe how large the cove was! It reminded me of the scene in Prince Caspian when the four children appear on a beach in Narnia. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was filmed here.

With regards to travelling solo, I love it.

With regards to travelling solo, I love it. There is no one to hold you back and there is always a lot of others travelling solo too, so you’re never alone. You are so much more independent and can work on your confidence. I have met people from all over the world – you cannot justify confining yourself to one person when there are so many more to meet.

It hasn’t always been easy, but the beginning is always hard.

It hasn’t all been easy, but the beginning is always hard. I have already met so many people and I am having a fantastic time. Had I not broken up with my ex, I would not been in New Zealand right now having the time of my life.

Share your travel stories with us- we’d love to hear from you.

Facebook // Epigram Travel // Twitter

Share this…Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedIn