Valentines day may have been and gone but is it ever too late to celebrate single life with the girls? Sarah Williams talks galentines day.

In the age of Ryanair and Easyjet offering £2 flights, jetting off for a Valentine’s getaway has never been easier. Valentine’s city breaks and long weekends are eagerly discussed but no one seems to mention where to go to celebrate Galentine’s Day.

February 13th is the day to celebrate the sacred love between gal pals – and what better way to do it than to plan a city break for two in Copenhagen?

Ever since Amy Poehler announced the holiday on Parks and Recreation it’s become an important annual event. February 13th is the day to celebrate the sacred love between gal pals – and what better way to do it than to plan a city break for two in Copenhagen?

Some friends live further away than others so a gal pal who lives in Scotland and I decided to meet up on the other side of Europe and discover a new city together. Travelling with a close friend, (especially one you haven’t seen for a while), seems more special than travelling with a significant other.

You tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that you love them frequently and presumably spend a lot of time together doing cute couple stuff, but girl-friends rarely get told just how important they are (except for during those DMCs in the Lounge toilets).

To travel with a friend and explore a city with your partner in crime is to show them just how much you appreciate them

To travel with a friend and explore a city with your partner in crime is to show them just how much you appreciate them, and to create new memories while reminiscing over old ones.

Copenhagen is a stunning city. Its history is open for every tourist to investigate with four beautiful palaces open to the public. The admission fees aren’t too pricey either, averaging at the equivalent of £3 per person (30 per cent discount for students).

We decided to go to Rosenborg Palace for its exhibition of the Danish Crown Jewels and the incredibly cool King’s Gardens. The palace is surrounded by a moat separating it from the gardens which hold numerous statues (modern and classical), stunning views of the city, and a view of the military base where the changing of the guard happens.

The city is filled with beautiful green spaces, including the free to enter Botanical Gardens. In a giant greenhouse, rows upon rows of palm trees, exotic flowers and Venus flytraps contrast the snowy climate of Denmark in winter. This place was certainly well worth the visit and made an adorable Galentine date.

Botanical Gardens

Like any normal couple on a budget, we had our first date in a McDonald’s and found that a double cheeseburger meal cost £12.

Buying food was the most difficult part of our trip. Like any normal couple on a budget, we had our first date in a McDonald’s and found that a double cheeseburger meal cost £12. It honestly felt like betrayal. We opted for the rest of our trip to live from the Lidl round the corner where pot noodles cost 30p.

It wasn’t what one would call a ‘balanced diet’ but what we saved on food, we were able to spend in the trendy bars around the corner from our hostel.

So grab your girl-friend and your passport and go and make some memories.

In the bars we visited, we were met with incredibly friendly Danish people and fellow travellers. Our ‘romantic’ evening drinks were often interrupted by locals striking up conversations about where we were from and what we were doing in the city. We made some great friends on our travels and even met some gal pal couples like us.

Ultimately, travelling with your BFF is the best way to travel. So grab your girl-friend and your passport and go and make some memories.

Have you explored the world with your best friend? Tell us more!

Facebook // Epigram Travel // Twitter

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+