Bristol Touch Rugby see success for both men and women, as they take silvers in France, Felix Rusby reports.

This summer a contingent of Bristol University students traveled to France to compete in the 2017 EFT Championship Permit tournament. It is an international competition, that sees representatives from Universities across the country compete for England as the England scholars against various international teams.

Bristol had five representatives at the tournament; Eden Coates, Emily Moore, Prentice Everett, Max Edgington-Rooley and Nick Hodson. All the students put in a brilliant performance, with both the men’s and the woman’s teams earning themselves a silver medal.

The competition took place over a number of days, with several matches played across each day. Nick Hodson explains, ‘it was a really good experience being in a competition of that high standard of play and especially for three days playing almost three games each day. Inspiring to carry on playing in the future!’

The woman’s team made it to the final of the touch rugby competition. This was a tight fought match against France and the game was level three all at full time. However, the match came down to a drop-off and unfortunately the England girls just came short. The men’s game was similarly hard fought in a tight final against a strong Dutch side. In the end, despite some impressive play, the game finished 8-7 to the opposition.

Very proud of our Bristol uni players representing England Scholars in France! 💪🏼

A post shared by University Of Bristol Touch (@uob_touch) on

Eden reflected on the summer experience, saying that it ‘has to be an absolute highlight of the summer and I am very grateful for whoever had the nuts idea to throw together 30 uni students from around the country and send them to France on tour.’

Following on from this success, Bristol is looking forward to hosting the first competition in the calendar for the UTS series (the touch rugby equivalent of BUCS), that will be taking place on Saturday the 14th of October.

Well done to England Scholars! Silver medals in both the men’s and women’s categories at the 2017 EFT Championship Permit

If you’re interested in getting involved in touch rugby check out their Facebook page or email them at [email protected].

Congratulate their success in the comments!

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter