After being named European City of Sport for 2017, this summer sees a host of sporting action across Bristol. From global events like the ICC Women’s World Cup to pop-up events at Broadmead, there is loads to get involved with.

July
The ICC Women’s World Cup is well underway, with the England women convincingly beating both Pakistan and New Zealand, but suffering a 35 run loss to India. If chilling out in the (hypothetical) sun with a cider watching the cricket sounds more appealing than muddy miles, you can catch our women taking on the West Indies on the 15th of July at the County Ground.

For something a little more fast paced, but still not requiring you to break a sweat, Wimbledon will be shown live at Millennium Square (by At Bristol) from the 10th to the 16th of July. Get your strawberries and Pimms at the ready and pitch up by the big screen to watch the likes of Johanna Konta, who is looking to bounce back from a disappointing 1st round defeat in the French Open and of course, Andy Murray.

Inspired by all these sporting greats? As part of the City of Sport initiatives, from June to September there will be free taster sessions of a variety of different sports, from tennis, to judo to indoor rowing. The first session of each sport is free, giving you a chance to try out something completely new whilst keeping fit and having fun, so why not grab a few friends and give a new sport a go this Summer? Check out their website for event times and booking information.

August
Broadmead will be a hub of sporting activity throughout August, giving you the opportunity to combine retail therapy with some fitness fun. On the 6th of August you can take on a climbing wall which will be stationed at The Podium. Alternatively, on the 13th of August check out three time Guinness World Record holder Matti Hemmings’ live BMX stunt show.

Assuming the British Summer came and went during the June heatwave, by the end of August you may be craving something a bit more beach-like. On the 20th of August try out the surf machine and ride some waves, admittedly it’s not exactly Newquay, but a fun novelty especially considering it is free!

Finally, end the summer on a cycling high by raising some cash for charity. From the 20th-27th of August the organisers are teaming up with PureGym to provide bikes for the Tour of Broadmead. Shoppers, workers and passers-by can hop on a bike and clock up some miles all in the name of a whopping eight different charities. What better way to burn off your cheeky McDonalds?

Head to these websites for more information and other ways to keep active in the City of Sport this summer:
Are You Game? Events: https://www.bristolcityofsport17.co.uk/get-involved/are-you-game/events-free-tasters/
Broadmead Events: http://www.bristolshoppingquarter.co.uk/offers-and-whats-on/whats-on/2016/6/17/bristol-shopping-quarters-summer-of-sport-a4456

Let us know if you are doing any sport this summer…

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter