Bristol’s Varsity darts team struggled as they were comprehensively beaten 7-1 by UWE last night at Walkabout in Bristol City Centre.

Despite the one-sided nature of the match, both sides threw some decent arrows and the crowd were in buoyant mood throughout, Bristol particularly bringing some vocal support.

The encounter got off to the worst possible start when Bristol captain Liam Peach lost the first game 2-0 legs having been a strong favourite.

Things got worse progressively worse as Mike Steel failed to notch up a leg in his defeat which set the tone for an evening of domination from UWE.

Up next was perhaps the match of the evening involving Bristol’s Rob Angel, up against a formidable UWE opponent who put up with a barrage of abuse from the Bristol faithful.

Cry’s of ‘I’m loving Angel instead’ to the tune of Robbie Williams’ ‘Angels’ appeared to enhance Rob’s game as he brought the game level after losing the first leg. Unfortunately, Angel couldn’t finish him off and UWE came up on top again as Bristol went 3-0 down.

Another narrow defeat left Bristol on a tightrope before fantastic arrows from James ‘on the job’ Jobson pulled it back to 4-1 and put Bristol on the board.

After a rowdy interval which saw Walkabout play darts classics including ‘Chase the Sun’ and ‘7 Nation Army’ to the delight of the couple of hundred adoring fans, Bristol couldn’t continue their momentum and subsequently lost the final three matches.

Matt Shaw, Miguel Renieblas and Domas Dregva could not stem the UWE tide as the noisy neighbours took away the spoils 7-1.

It was a disappointing night for the Bristol team but there’s no doubt they’ll come back stronger next year. Regardless, it was a great atmosphere and a great venue and the event will only continue to grow.

Follow all the Varsity coverage by using the hashtag #WeAreBristol

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter