The annual charity fundraiser Ignit10n is set to mark the start of the Varsity series, with UWE’s sports teams joining the challenge for the first time.

The event, which takes place in March every year, sees the University of Bristol’s sports clubs take part in a series of 10-hour long challenges to raise money for Bristol-based charity Above & Beyond.

Members of Bristol’s rowing club doing their part for Ignit10n

This Thursday, Bristol’s students will go head-to-head against their UWE counterparts, with the university that raises the most money winning the first point of the Varsity series.

The majority of Bristol’s tasks will take place either in the Tyndall Avenue gym or in the open space behind the Physics and Life Sciences buildings, although some clubs, like cycling, who are embarking on a 110 miles Tour de Burrito, are taking their efforts further afield.

Other challenges include 10 hours of continuous diving catches from the cricket club, 10000 kick ups from the football club and the lacrosse club’s attempt to spin cycle the distance between Bristol and Guildford, where the next Lacrosse World Cup will be held, as many times as possible.

This year, clubs have been set the aim of raising enough money to fund a Sysmex Blood Analyser for patients of the Bristol Haematology & Oncology Centre. The analyser allows point of care testing for certain blood results to give an instant result, reducing delays and increasing doctor-patient care times.

Get involved during Varsity using the hashtag #WeAreBristol and follow updates of all the events on our social media:

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter