The Lacrosse Men’s first team sealed their first ever league title on Wednesday 1st February with a narrow 11-7 victory away to the Exeter firsts as Deputy Sports Online Editor Dan Reuben reports.

Exeter were their closest rivals for the title, in second place, however to call Exeter close rivals would be an injustice to the Bristol firsts, who dominated the Premier South division from start to finish, winning all ten of their games and cruising to the division trophy.

Members of the Mens’ and Mixed Lacrosse club travelled the 80 miles down the M5 to Duckes Meadow in their droves to support the team and they were in fine voice throughout, outnumbering and outsinging the Exeter fans from start to finish.

This fan had a particularly unique opinion at Duckes Meadow

Exeter gained an early one goal advantage however Bristol had fought back by the end of the first quarter to level it up at 3-3. From then on, Bristol’s experience and confidence in their ability which has been ever-present in their unbeaten run, shone through and in a very hard-fought tight battle against a team who won the cup last year, the experience made all the difference.

Mark Irvine, vice club captain, singled out three players for praise, saying “Special mentions must go to goalkeeper Jamie Caldwell, who kept us in the game at vital moments with numerous crucial saves and Kyle McHugh, who gave the opposition defence a torrid time all afternoon, running them ragged. Man of the match, however, has to go to Freddie Atkins, who was tenacious on the ball and energetic in midfield throughout.”

He went on to say, “The title is just a culmination of a season’s hard work and it is all down to the team spirit and camaraderie within the squad. We take the same intensity into both training and matches which means we can gradually wear down the opposition and that’s what happened today”.

One of the Bristol players stretching out to collect a cross field pass

Verity Neild, one of the Mixed players who made the trip to Exeter to support the boys, said “It is such a great achievement for the boys to win the league unbeaten. It was amazing to watch because they have worked so hard for it all season and it is so well deserved”.

The cold and rainy conditions did not dampen the mood of the players or the supporters at the full time whistle, as the champagne began to flow and the celebrations could get underway with everyone’s spirits sky high all the way back to Bristol.